Trouble setting up Linksys BEFW11S4 Router

• Thread starter Thread starter Himu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 4,662

Himu

Hi,

I am in Bangalore using BSNL 256K Home500 plan. I had outright bought the ADSL modem from BSNL (Huwaei MT880). I recently got from US a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wi-Fi Router, so that I can simultaneously use my Office Laptop (over Wi-Fi) and home Desktop (over wired LAN). I router came with a setup CD which first "reads" Modem parameters by running in the desktop connected to the modem and then asks for the router to be connected in between desktop and modem and tries to configure the router. It is supposed to work but at the end of the wizard, it just says couldn't connect to the Internet and just exits. Does someone has experince in setting this combination?

After that I went in to the settings page of router at http://192.168.1.1 and saw that router's IP (192.168.1.1) is same as Modem's IP and so changed router's IP to 192.168.1.10, enabled router's DHCP server (DHCP on modem is OFF), setup PC to be DHCP client. Even after that, I am just able to reach till the router from the PC and not able to ping the modem at all.

Any suggestions???

It is easy to set up the Linksys Wifi Router. The system is almost same for all such equipments.First connect PC or Laptop to Modem and then start internet. Then put CD in and run it. As you move ahead, it will read the Dataone or ( ISP ) details etc and record it. Then it will ask u to connect the internet ( modem to Wifi which in turn will connect to the PC/Laptop. DO remember to set the 192.168.1.1 back again whereever u changed the number earlier before u start to set the wifi up.Once u do this, the Wifi or Laptop will be connected to the Net thru the Wifi. This will resolve all issues.The wifi will also make the laptop and PC connect thru it like as thru u r on Lan. U dont need to set IP number anywhere in Networking.

Originally posted by BSNL_CMD@Jun 26 2005, 05:09 AM
It is easy to set up the Linksys Wifi Router.  The system is almost same for all such equipments.
First connect PC or Laptop to Modem and then start internet. Then put CD in and run it. As you move ahead, it will read the Dataone or ( ISP ) details etc and record it.    Then it will ask u to connect the internet ( modem  to Wifi which in turn will connect to the PC/Laptop. DO remember to set the 192.168.1.1 back again whereever u changed the number earlier before u start to set the wifi up.
Once u do this, the Wifi or Laptop will be connected to the Net thru the Wifi. This will resolve all issues.
The wifi will also make the laptop and PC connect thru it like as thru u r on Lan. U dont need to set IP number anywhere in Networking.
[snapback]13698[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I am doing exactly as you said I should do but it didn't work. I was wondering if the router's IP could be kept same as that of Modem (both are 192.168.1.1)?? The Linksys software read Modem's IP but still kept its own IP same as that. I have tried to manually change Linksys IP to 192.168.1.10 but still didn't work. Basically the PC is not able to ping the modem once the router is in between....

Okie, I solved ur problem. Once it gives that error that it could not connect to the ISP after u try to wiz the Wifi, then gradually exit from the Installation. Then open ur browser and key in 192.168.1.1 and this will connect u to the Wifi as admin. Leave login box blank and pw as "admin". Then u will be in the control panel. Set login what Dataone gave u and pw as xyz123. This is done in the first page that opens. Then just start to surf after saving settings. The wifi will automatically dial u in.If it works, I deserve a treat.