What is unlimited?

• Thread starter Thread starter pprabhu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 5,484

pprabhu

ISP
Jio Fiber - Truly Unlimited
Airtel provides unlimited bandwidth for 128kbps home plan. Why do they call it unlimited? I called upon a CC, but he and she refused to explain the unlimited bit. They kept on with their verdict that for residential lines, we provide unlimited uploads and downloads. I requested them to give me a number, a ball figure 10GB, 15GB, 20GB.. but they said its unlimited. Why? I wonder.

A little bit of calculation made me understand that at 16kbps, downloading every second of time for 30 days.. I can download approx 40GB per month.

Freak macha. So I called them up again and asked them do any of their "home" plans provide me to download 40GB per month. They said no. There are no such plans, but they can give me one of their unlimited bandwidth homeplan. Yet again I was put infront of that equivocal and ambiguous word, unlimited

I've been their customer since Jan.. and I never dared to cross 3GB per month. But I guess I'll take that chance now 😉

Thanks for those wonderful posts put in. 😀

with airtel unlimited means unlimited... our usage here is pretty high. never charged extra.

Excatly if they say its unlimted y are u asking for the limit...cudnt understand 🤔

Great. When they can afford to call it unlimited, why is 40GB a no? 😛

One of my friend works on the network side in airtel. He too, on a friendly note, said it is unlimited. You don't have to panic, we have enough bandwidth.

unlimited gives users a physcological peace of mind. i had be afraid to get myself a connection with a 40 GB limit...

they have made a mockery of the term unlimited. but they are serious about one thing. sify connection comes with unlimited pain.....

did not u read the forms when u filled them? i think they had it all. the website is pretty pathetic. i have no idea why some designers go all flash... totally inaccessible.

Nope. I only signed a piece of paper where the acknowledgement was in respect that the technical guy has installed the modem and set up the connection. Airtel had some tie up with our appartment association hence we didnt have to pay the Installation charge.

ah. since u did not sign up on any aup or tos... u should not be worried abt it 😉

My experience with the word unlimited is as follows....

i signed up for a 48k (24hr) unlimiited plan from my local cable wallah more than 2 yrs ago in BLR.

It has dropped to 32k avg in the last yr or so.

Th idea is if i'm not happy to go elsewhere. The service is 80% reliable and the price is close to 1K/month and has stayed at that amount since i started. They took a 4k deposit as well, i might get that back if i'm not happy, but we know how reliable ppl are when they say that.

I plan to observe Airtel users for a few months more and see how this definition of unlimited evolves. I notice that providers have a tendency to oversubscibe users to what the network can actually handle. It's sweet at the begining then they start traffic shaping you. Typical example is the mobile phone network during the peak hrs of 6-9pm. I'm lucky if i the recepient even gets the call on certain networks, during those hrs. No Voicemail activated so no go.

Maybe someone here can let us know how much they have actually downloaded in the last month. "Busy" sounds nice but is quite vague. Is there anyone there DLing 24/7 for the last month ? We know the theoretical amount but what is the actual amount.

Dunno if Airtel has something like this but my ISP gives me a URL which gives me a display of my activity in the last day, week & month with a figure.

Airtel does give their customer's an interface to check the usage. The usage is updated twice or thrice in a week. One of the fellow member here said that he has downloaded 25GB per month. I've been downloading occassionally bringing an average of 3GB per month. This month I hope to reach above 10 GB and see how Airtel is gonna treat me next month.I was a customer of Atria cable earlier. Their service has almost 50% downtime. I would barely reach 6kbps speed. Inspite of this they sent me a huge bill once, claiming that I've crossed the allotted bw. Sad they did not mention or warn me about it while I was reaching the limit. I was with them for 2 years hoping the situation would improve. But sadly it didnt and I moved to Airtel.I don't trust ISPs when they actually use term Unlimited. That is very vague. If they give a figure, I can sleep peaceully. But I've read many reviews on the net, where members say that Airtel is actually not restricting the transfer in their unlimited plan. But lets see how things work out.🙂