SMS over wifi app

Hi Airtel gurus - Is there an app I use on android/IOS that will let me send SMS messages even when I don't have 2G/3G/LTE reception? If there is no fee for sending SMS, that will be an added bonus. My issue is that I am currently roaming internationally and sending SMS to India is VERY expensive (~25 rupees per SMS). Trying to figure out if there is a cheaper alternative. Also, if such an app exists, does it allow me to put a "reply to" number?

Thanks!
EDIT: Need to clarify that I have wifi connectivity most of the time. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
why not use service like Way2SMS, they also have Android APP.

Thanks! Does Way2SMS allow for "reply to" number while sending the SMS? Also is it free because there will be ads attached to the SMS?

Way2SMS website is full of clickjacking ads so not sure how it works. I personally do not see how a mobile app can send free texts to India without internet connectivity.

Its Ad-supported platform, so they are not going to do a 9 to 5 job to cover the cost,
if its free, they will certainly put some ads or revenue model.

if you don't want free, but can pay a small fee, there are other gateways which will give your dirt cheap sms plans
www.smscountry.com was once very reliable, Haven't used it in 4-5 years so check them too.

you are missing the crucial point here. he wants something that works without internet connectivity.
without internet connectivity, he only has two modes of communication... voice and text.

If using App, then it surely needs internet connectivity. Why not WhatsApp?

Me Bad. I was reading the post content. Not sure how wifi is different from cellular Internet.

SMS over wifi is not possible unless u use app like way2sms or 160by2 but in that case you will not get reply back to ur number.

Me Bad. I was reading the post content. Not sure how wifi is different from cellular Internet.

His idea is that his SIM will be under international roaming but he will have access to some wifi.

He does not want roaming charges (which is 99Rs normally per month + SMS charges)

For incoming SMS there are no roaming charges.

So for outgoing SMS he want to send via Wifi and incoming is anyway free so he will continue to get reply!

Sorry about the delayed reply (had not subscribed to this thread). amish is exactly correct. I have been using Way2SMS over Wifi but the app is pretty annoying with the pop up ads. I am looking for a paid service where I can send simple SMS messages over Wifi at a low cost. Again, Airtel SMS plans outside India are just really expensive (Rs.25 PER SMS/text). Incoming SMS on Airtel is free (apart from the Rs. 99 roaming charges per month).

SMS over wifi is not possible unless u use app like way2sms or 160by2 but in that case you will not get reply back to ur number.

His idea is that his SIM will be under international roaming but he will have access to some wifi.

He does not want roaming charges (which is 99Rs normally per month + SMS charges)

For incoming SMS there are no roaming charges.

So for outgoing SMS he want to send via Wifi and incoming is anyway free so he will continue to get reply!

Last edited:
Well, I want to my local Bangalore contacts to be able to SMS me normally on my Airtel mobile and I reply to them with the same mobile number. As I said, my ideal solution will be something like Way2SMS but without the ads (I am willing to pay for ad free service).