• Replies Replies 129
  • Views Views 29,945

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time. Gaim supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer (coming soon), away messages, typing notification, and MSN window closing notification.

What’s New:
The file transfer details section now also displays the full path to the local file sent/received.
Yahoo! has the following new “/” commands: /join, /buzz
Fix Yahoo! privacy bug
Fix Jabber Get Info crash on busted servers
Updated our gaim.desktop file, thanks to all our terrific translators for sending in translations of the changes
Improvements to how Gaim handles new message notification

More: https://broadband.forum/archives/2005/0...aim-131-is-out/

A good piece of software but the interface needs some attention...😀

well, i discarded Gaim coz i cudn't minimize it and remove it form the taskbar...like we can do in Yahoo and MSN messengers...i may think of going back to it if i get that feature, though the user interface is no way near MSN or Yahoo!...

it is in there already...

so does it remove "gaim" from the taskbar???to me it seems that it just adds an icon to the system tray for quick access 🤔

I hate that fat thick window which follows after you sign in.. the handshaking and getting cookies window! it looks wieird

erm we hate when people recommend a second utility with a utility being discussed. this thread is not abt comparing the best IM application out there...

Gaim is now called Pidgin
The open source instant messenger product Gaim has been renamed to Pidgin. This is primarily because of the efforts of AOL which has the trademark to the term AIM.
The project has been named Pidgin IM and the developers have migrated off their development thread from sourceforge.net to developer.pidgin.im.
The Gaim development team [...]

https://broadband.forum/archives/2007/04/08/pidgin/