Google Android Nougat Updates

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Android N leaked screenshots reveal one new feature
The images show Android N’s settings menu, specifically the page for Bluetooth controls. Everything looks pretty standard, but in the top right corner we see a hamburger-style menu button. That’s definitely new though hopefully it’s just a small taste of all the changes Google has planned.

The company previously hinted that it’s working on official split-screen support for Android 7.0 though it’s unclear if that will be limited to tablets or available for all devices. More recently, reports surfaced that the N update could kill off the App Drawer in an effort to simplify the software.

Android 7.1 Nougat's changelog is here, includes both Pixel-exclusive and non-Pixel exclusive changes

Pixel product-specific
  • Pixel Launcher - swipe up for all apps, new Search Box, date/weather header on home
  • Google Assistant
  • Unlimited original quality photo/video backup to Google Photos
  • Smart Storage - when storage is full, automatically removes old backed up photos/videos
  • Phone/Chat support (new support tab in settings), screen-share functionality
  • Quick switch adapter for wired setup from Android or iPhone
  • Pixel Camera:
    • Electronic Image Stabilization (“video stabilization”) 2.0
    • Pro Features
      • White Balance Presets
      • Exposure Compensation
      • AE/AF Locking
      • Viewfinder grid modes
    • HW-accelerated (on Qualcomm Hexagon coprocessor) HDR+ image processing
    • Smartburst
  • Sensor Hub processor with tightly integrated sensors (accel, gyro, mag) + connectivity (Wi-Fi, Cell, GPS)
  • Cosmetic
    • Solid navbar icons with home affordance for Assistant
    • SysUI accent color theming
    • Wallpaper picker with new wallpapers and sounds
    • New setup look and feel
    • Dynamic calendar date icon
Android Nougat 7.1
  • Night Light
  • Touch/display performance improvements
  • Moves (Fingerprint swipe down gesture - opt-in)
  • Seamless A/B system updates
  • Daydream VR mode
  • Developer features:
    • App shortcuts / shortcut manager APIs
    • Circular app icons support
    • Keyboard image insertion
    • Fingerprint sensor gesture to open/close notification shade
    • Manual storage manager Intent for apps
    • Improved VR thread scheduling
    • Enhanced wallpaper metadata
    • Multi-endpoint call support
    • Support for various MNO requirements
      • PCDMA voice privacy property
      • Source type support for Visual Voicemail
      • Carrier config options for managing video telephony
  • Manual storage manager - identifies apps and files and apps using storage

---
Android 7.1 is coming to current Nexus devices and the Pixel C, will land before the end of 2016 as a dev preview

So they've started screwing up their loyal Nexus users already.

so the only feature i can look forward to is using the fingerprint reader to swipe things?

Yup, and the night light feature.

And what pisses me off is that 7.1 is a stable build yet they plan to release it as a dev preview for Nexus devices and that too end of the year 🙄

as someone joked on the ap post... it takes a lot of time to take features out without breaking the thing.

honestly, it would be fun to see if google keeps this pricing in usa and india because it is really going to struggle there and here at these prices. i cannot honestly recommend anyone to buy a pixel over iPhone 7 for this much money.

google is still sticking to 2 years of updates. Apple has been delivering updates for at least four years.

You're right. iPhone 5 (2012) got iOS 10. The corresponding Nexus 4 stopped with Lollipop. As the recent iPhones are much faster, we could even see updates being delivered for more than 4 years.

I remember reading that Android 7 is going to introduce some software implementation of 3D touch. Did that happen?

i have not read anything about touch sensitive display on the pixel series. the next big innovation from android devices is going to be from tango powered lenovo phone that would launch next month. but that's completely different thing.

Coming soon: Android 7.1 Developer Preview | Android Developers Blog

Android 7.1 delivers the productivity, security, and performance of Android 7.0, along with a variety of optimizations and bug fixes, features, and new APIs (API level 25).

For developers, Android 7.1 adds new capabilities to help you drive engagement in your app and deliver an improved user experience, such as:

App shortcuts API — lets you surface key actions directly in the launcher and take your users deep into your app instantly. You can create up to 5 shortcuts, either statically or dynamically.
Circular app icons support — lets you provide great-looking rounded icon resources that match the look of Pixel and other launchers.
Enhanced wallpaper metadata — lets you provide metadata about your wallpapers to any picker displaying the wallpapers as a preview. You can show existing metadata such as label, description, and author, as well as a new context URL and title to link to more information.
Android 7.1 also adds these much-requested developer features to the platform:

Image keyboard support — expands the types of content that users can enter from their keyboards, letting them express themselves through custom stickers, animated gifs, and more. Apps can tell the keyboard what types of content they accept, and keyboards can deliver all of the images and other content that they offer to the user. For broad compatibility, this API will also be available in the support library.
Storage manager Intent — lets an app take the user directly to a new Settings screen to clear unused files and free up storage space on the device.
For carriers and calling apps, the platform includes new APIs to support multi-endpoint calling and new telephony configuration options.

0nCOmuB.webp

i guess i should thank google from the bottom of my heart to deliver this groundbreaking feature to nexus devices.

Last edited:
TsMH7Dd.webp

this feels a lot like the xiaomi dialer. and there is no more swiping. just press. swiping appears to be an exclusive pixel feature. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Last edited: