Karanataka govt passes guidelines for Online Cab operators

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
– Driver should be a resident of Karnataka for a minimum of 5 years.

– He should have a working knowledge of Kannada and any other language, preferably English.

– The vehicle should also be fitted with a ‘tamper proof electronic digital fare meter’ which is capable of generating a printed receipt to be given to passengers if fare cannot be informed through SMS or email.

– It should have a yellow coloured display board with the word “Taxi” visible from both the front and the rear and can be illuminated at night.

Goodluck Uber and Ola.

Full list: Exclusive: The new guideline rules for online cab aggregators in Karnataka are brutal

Cab aggregators have to make cabs available after midnight - HG Kumar, Add Commissioner for Transport, K'taka

MediaNama: The draft states that taxi service should be available 24×7, which is not the case right now. The availability of cabs goes down drastically after midnight and sometimes getting a cab means dealing with increased (like surge) pricing…
HG Kumar: Whatever the rate, it should not exceed Rs 19.5 per km. That’s what we’ve fixed and it cannot be exceeded.

MediaNama: What about availability of cabs?
HG Kumar: That is upto the companies, they have to make arrangements.

MediaNama: Where should the policy on the taxi fare be published? And why is it necessary to put a cap on surge pricing?
HG Kumar: This should be on the website for every city. For fares, the limit is the fixed Rs 19.5 per km. We haven’t said anything about surge pricing or any other pricings, we’ve clearly stated that whatever rate the government has set should not be exceeded. That’s all.

The Uber driver I booked yesterday was an educated young chap who was new to the city, spoke good English and had a crisp new white car with no markings. He was polite and even though he did not know the routes or the local language, he fully took advantage of the GPS and drove like a champ. I guess I won't be seeing him again then.

I don't think its about money here. Auto and Taxi unions are pretty strong in our country and seem to have more influence than the private companies on the government policies. Government might think that passing such regulations will bring private operators on the same playing field.

So what is harm for Uber or Ola to follow this rules? And why can't Uber or Ola hire "good" local drivers?

Lots of current drivers are gonna lose their jobs. And Hiring more local ones is going to be an uphil task. Plus there is no reasonable data to support that non local drivers can't perform with same efficiency as local ones(Read jay's post above). This move is more political than reasonable. Plus the rule of installing a physical meter and glowing signs - unnecessary.