• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,141

dejan

Regular
I got banned!
ISP
Airtel
I want to open a savings account in my local SBI branch, but they need me to be existing SBI customer. Someone told me I should open PPF account with them first and then open a savings account. Is it true that PPF account requires no introduction?

Government banks have started this shit! [emoji79]

How does one get an account without having an existing account? I thought you got yourself a SBI account to get a private bank account!

I think it depends on branch. When its new they don't need referral but it get old and busy they put this condition to beat the rush.
I am guessing this must be a very busy branch?

Oops I misread it as in you need to have someone existing refer you.

Guys in RBI website, its written that its not mandatory to ask for introducer anymore. But they're asking me anyway. When I called them yesterday, they said it's not mandatory. But in physical visit to branch they said its mandatory. lmao

Just go to the manager's room & ask him if he can help you, if he says cant - say, you are going to mail the RBI governor (cc'ing the manager even in postal letter) asking him to introduce you to the SBI branch manager as they are insisting on that.

unless you know the people who work there, the customer experience is likely to be frustrating. i hate the idea of going to my local sbi branch for any work that dad needs to get done. sometimes there are long queues and you have to take a token number and wait for your turn. the people on the counter behave nicely though. sometimes the computers are down. sometimes the network is down. sometimes the printers are not working. sometimes you are advised to call the customer care on phone.

the amount of footfall they get... i am more comfortable dealing with a smaller private bank.

Last edited:
While I would normally recommend a private bank for day to day usage - I would also recommend to have a PSU bank account opened - can be useful at times. Also, for the minimum balance requirement of 1k, makes sense, just to have one, atleastfor namesake.