• Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,421

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So Chromecast sucks for Netflix broadcast even though I installed an additional router close to where the TV is. YouTube works fairly well. Even Google Play Movies does a decent job. Though not flawless.

I am considering getting a dedicated player. Roku looks good but does not have official support for streaming from local storage. Plex I believe can be used to stream data from my PC. I would personally like to get a player that can also load media from pen drives.

I have used WD TV in the past and it might suit my needs. Assuming it has Netflix. But I am not sure how much relevant it is today wrt software updates etc. WD TV is great for playing from connected storage. No idea how streaming would work from the net.

Any feedback on Roku/WDTV etc? Any other device to consider?

Google Nexus Player is USD 70 these days. Was available for USD 50 few days ago. But I have zero idea about support for streaming from local sources and if it can play media from connected storage assuming it has a USB port.

Google - Nexus Player Streaming Media Console - Black

WD TV doesn't have Netflix afaik. For Netflix you need to get WD TV Live or Plus which are like upwards of 20k. Those cheap Android TV sticks are also worth considering. But I am really not sure these will solve the streaming issues you faced.

Upvote 0
for some reason wd website does not list any other model. and they show streaming feature for the base model though netflix is not listed.

WD TV - Media Player

i remember getting the plus or live version few years ago and it at least had youtube. do not remember netflix. i don't have the unit with me as i gave it to someone.

plus the ui is crap.

Upvote 0
lol i was thinking of getting chromecast 2015 model for streaming over WiFi for local content lol as current one with my smart TV keeps crashing every now and then specially if file size is big.

I have Hi Meida player ( latest one might have Netflix support too ) got it couple of years back, if LAN wire is connected to it, it streams flawlessly, but over WiFi again same issue as above. On my laptop etc i can stream fine though over WiFi. ( can't use LAN any more, its too many wires around then )

So i am guessing all these equip. comes with shi**y WiFi adapters.

Upvote 0
Would that fix a problem, for any of future wifi device you might buy? why not fix wifi problem first. place the wifi router in center of house. if you can't get ethernet wiring to there try TP-Link eop powerline adapter kit if you got same electricity meter in house same place. basically data flow through electricity cables in the house. you can easily achieve 80-100 via 500mbps series.
would cost you no more than 4k. no need of those shitty repeater and lag. or maybe if too big a house get two wifi access point connected via eop adapters.

Upvote 0