Does ACT charge for static IP?

• Thread starter Thread starter BunnyHug
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 42,359
ISP
ACT FiberNet
Hello,
I recently requested for a internet facing public IP because I have cctv and have ftp and NAS server both for personal use. I expected to receive a public facing dynamic IP but to my surprise, they give static. Yay! But I forgot to ask them if the static ip is charged extra. Does anyone having a static IP assigned, give me an insight?

Last edited:
I guess they have given private static IP to you. It is probably like 10.x.x.x. If so, there is no charge for static IP. They have one to one mapping of internal IP to external IP.

Upvote 0
No. I know the difference between a private IP range and public. And as I said in OP, I requested for a internet facing public IP for port forwarding and was given a public Static IP and hence the question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Damn :worried: I was't informed of that. May be I should call and talk to them. But IDK how knowledgeable their CS would be on this. BTW, just curious, do you know what's the cost of static IP there?

Upvote 0
You need the connection to be in a business's name to get a public static IP.
You are misinterpreting the question. I dont have connection in name of business. I requested for some public ip for port forwarding. I received a "pure static public IP" from them. Configured my router for static ip instead of pppoe and also I have even associated a subdomain of mine to the ip and port forwarded in my router. It all works fine. And I'm 100% sure it IS static public facing IP. I now only need to know if they are gonna charge for the static ip and they didnt inform me of charges when they gave me the IP

Upvote 0
You mean you didn't get a 10.x.x.x IP but rather a 106.x.x.x series IP?

If it's the latter then give me your customer ID because I want one too and I'll be able to convince them to give me one based on your account.

Upvote 0
Yes. It is obviously the later. If still in doubt, check the attached snapshot of my router config. Well, while I was able to get static IP for one connection, I'm not able to get static ip for my another connection citing the former account. They deny giving static saying we dont know how you got static IP for your other account but we dont give static IP to home plans. So I gonna try the same method I used for getting static ip for my first account - complaining I'm not able to port forward and also I have frequent connection drops then talk to the network support.

Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
Dear ACT Fiberians,
Could you guys please help me on port forwarding for this Hyderabad user.
Should i have to pay for Static IP service? Anyway to bypass the payment but get the service from ACT. Tried talking to back-end network engineer, but did not work out, they say i have to pay INR 250/- for the service, they informed that its their company policy.
I have gone through all the Port forwarding; Static IP; Double-NAT issues of ACT on this forum.
I need some help & information on will we be able to configure it manually? Can you guys share with me the configurations you guys used.

If things dont work out with ACT am planning to shift to other ISP's. Is Hathway ISP better n port forwarding? Please shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
If you have the option of a static public IP then go for it. As far as I know they only offer than service to connections that are in the name of businesses.

What we have done is get a static private IP which ultimately does the same thing due to the way ACT has set their gateways up. It is free however.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion.! 🙂
How do i convince these ACT network engineer guys to
1. Allocate me a static Private IP and not a static Public IP; they always stick to saying that Static IP will cost me INR 250/- 🙁
2. Open all the ports for that Private IP.

Please help me out on this.!

Upvote 0
Say them you have cctv at your home and want to monitor it from outside the network. They will then arrange a call back from their network support team who would provide you with a private static IP. I have received one for my other connection

Upvote 0
Hi Vijal,

Thanks for your inputs.
But i asked them for connecting to VPN, and its affecting my work. Still they say that i would be taking a Static IP.
Even gave me the example of customers who are taking Static IP for the services like CCTV, DVR, Gaming and etc etc..

I have few queries could you please let me know
1. Are you paying them Rs 250 extra per month for that static Private IP?
2. If No, then could you guide me on how to make them understand??
3. How do they open ports for that static private IP?

Upvote 0