Does ACT charge for static IP?

George nathan

Oct 29, 2016
Dear ACT Fiberians,
Could you guys please help me on port forwarding for this Hyderabad user.
Should i have to pay for Static IP service? Anyway to bypass the payment but get the service from ACT. Tried talking to back-end network engineer, but did not work out, they say i have to pay INR 250/- for the service, they informed that its their company policy.
I have gone through all the Port forwarding; Static IP; Double-NAT issues of ACT on this forum.
I need some help & information on will we be able to configure it manually? Can you guys share with me the configurations you guys used.

If things dont work out with ACT am planning to shift to other ISP's. Is Hathway ISP better n port forwarding? Please shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

RedskyITM

Regulars
Sep 4, 2015
If you have the option of a static public IP then go for it. As far as I know they only offer than service to connections that are in the name of businesses.

What we have done is get a static private IP which ultimately does the same thing due to the way ACT has set their gateways up. It is free however.

Reactions: George nathan

George nathan

Oct 29, 2016
Thank you for your suggestion.! :)
How do i convince these ACT network engineer guys to
1. Allocate me a static Private IP and not a static Public IP; they always stick to saying that Static IP will cost me INR 250/- :(
2. Open all the ports for that Private IP.

Please help me out on this.!

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
Say them you have cctv at your home and want to monitor it from outside the network. They will then arrange a call back from their network support team who would provide you with a private static IP. I have received one for my other connection

George nathan

Oct 29, 2016
Hi Vijal,

Thanks for your inputs.
But i asked them for connecting to VPN, and its affecting my work. Still they say that i would be taking a Static IP.
Even gave me the example of customers who are taking Static IP for the services like CCTV, DVR, Gaming and etc etc..

I have few queries could you please let me know
1. Are you paying them Rs 250 extra per month for that static Private IP?
2. If No, then could you guide me on how to make them understand??
3. How do they open ports for that static private IP?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
I am really confused. How does a static private ip work with cctv when the public ip is being shared by multiple users?

RedskyITM

Regulars
Sep 4, 2015
If you have more than one guy running the same service on the same port then there will be an issue. It should be fine otherwise because only one computer will be listening and respond if you're the only one running the service.

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
Hi Vijal,

Thanks for your inputs.
But i asked them for connecting to VPN, and its affecting my work. Still they say that i would be taking a Static IP.
Even gave me the example of customers who are taking Static IP for the services like CCTV, DVR, Gaming and etc etc..

I have few queries could you please let me know
1. Are you paying them Rs 250 extra per month for that static Private IP?
2. If No, then could you guide me on how to make them understand??
3. How do they open ports for that static private IP?
  1. No. I'm not. They made a mistake by providing me "FREE" static PUBLIC IP (For home) and a static private IP (Always free) for office.
  2. Say, you are having network cctv at home and have dynamic dns service but since double NAT, you cannot reach the camera and say you need port forwarding support.
  3. those private IP are nated to a public IP where all the ports are opened by default. only issue is, if another user of that IP is bound to port 80 already, you will have problems using that port

George nathan

Oct 29, 2016
Hi Vijal,

Thank you very much for your inputs and help, much appreciated!
I have tried explaining the Technical & Nodal team in many ways, but they still think am asking for Static Public IP. I think they might have prepared an SOP where in if customer asks for Port forwarding redirect them to Static IP and ask for 250/- fee.
Could you please help me understand on how the IP allocation happens for a private IP is it 10.111.x.x(I get this for PPPoE) or 10.112.x.x (I get this for DHCP)?
Any help on how i setup my router would be very useful.
And what is the Public IP you get for a static private IP.

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
In case of my office, I was given a private IP in the range 10.x.x.x which is configured as a static ip in my router. The public ip this private ip is nated to doesnt change and thats what I use for DNS