Does ACT charge for static IP?

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
Hello,
I recently requested for a internet facing public IP because I have cctv and have ftp and NAS server both for personal use. I expected to receive a public facing dynamic IP but to my surprise, they give static. Yay! But I forgot to ask them if the static ip is charged extra. Does anyone having a static IP assigned, give me an insight?

Last edited:

gopichandpai

Regular
Regulars
Jul 2, 2008
I guess they have given private static IP to you. It is probably like 10.x.x.x. If so, there is no charge for static IP. They have one to one mapping of internal IP to external IP.

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
No. I know the difference between a private IP range and public. And as I said in OP, I requested for a internet facing public IP for port forwarding and was given a public Static IP and hence the question.

Last edited:

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
Damn :worried: I was't informed of that. May be I should call and talk to them. But IDK how knowledgeable their CS would be on this. BTW, just curious, do you know what's the cost of static IP there?

RedskyITM

Regulars
Sep 4, 2015
You need the connection to be in a business's name to get a public static IP.

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
You need the connection to be in a business's name to get a public static IP.
You are misinterpreting the question. I dont have connection in name of business. I requested for some public ip for port forwarding. I received a "pure static public IP" from them. Configured my router for static ip instead of pppoe and also I have even associated a subdomain of mine to the ip and port forwarded in my router. It all works fine. And I'm 100% sure it IS static public facing IP. I now only need to know if they are gonna charge for the static ip and they didnt inform me of charges when they gave me the IP

RedskyITM

Regulars
Sep 4, 2015
You mean you didn't get a 10.x.x.x IP but rather a 106.x.x.x series IP?

If it's the latter then give me your customer ID because I want one too and I'll be able to convince them to give me one based on your account.

vijai1996

[OP]
Jan 16, 2016
Yes. It is obviously the later. If still in doubt, check the attached snapshot of my router config. Well, while I was able to get static IP for one connection, I'm not able to get static ip for my another connection citing the former account. They deny giving static saying we dont know how you got static IP for your other account but we dont give static IP to home plans. So I gonna try the same method I used for getting static ip for my first account - complaining I'm not able to port forward and also I have frequent connection drops then talk to the network support.

RedskyITM

Regulars
Sep 4, 2015
Well they obviously won't charge you for it since they provided it (by mistake apparently).

Lucky of you though, I'm envious.