VPN double NAT issues

• Thread starter Thread starter bbuser49
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 5,024
ISP
ACTing up Fibernet
My Asus RT-N56U VPN server stopped working after ACT Hyd decided to stop giving out public IPs. Read that broken DDNS is the issue. N56U is not DD-WRT compatible (could try Merlin or Tomato). Want to upgrade to RT-N66U with better DD-WRT support which has a DDNS option to correctly recognize public IP (clients can see but not the router).

Before I get new router, I tried VPN with IP address. Install DDNS client on laptop. Still VPN not working. Do I need to add any routes?

What are the other options. ACT service(not customer service) is a OK, lost connection only two times in two years. Don't want to switch to different provider unless it is really necessary.

Thanks.

Have you considered asking ACT for a Static IP?

I have A-Max 1050. I didn't find any Home Connection data plans with static public IP. I wouldn't mind paying for static public IP, but not for a Business connection.

Do they offer static IP for a fee? How to approach them?

@bbuser49 Call CC and say you need to have public ip since you host ftp server in your PC and have cctv at home. Maybe the executive doesnt understand what you are talking about. Say them you just have to register a complaint for getting public ip and ask network engineer call you. Say him the same: You need public IP for port forwarding ftp and have cctv. Probably they will ask what software you use for ftp (They asked me). Say you are using "FileZilla" and he will either say he'll call back in few hours or guide you assigning static ip to your router which is a public facing IP.

P.S: It took me 2 days since I registered complaint to get static ip assigned.