Vodafone 4G LTE launched in Mumbai

• Thread starter Thread starter d5aqoëp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 22,286
Thanks @techbhp

I am in south mumbai and still not getting LTE. So I guess it may have to do with upgrade. I'll do the os upgrade and try it out.

nope I don't think so its any related upgrade ..have you upgraded your sim card from Vodafone store ?if yes try LTE in another area.

nope I don't think so its any related upgrade ..have you upgraded your sim card from Vodafone store ?if yes try LTE in another area.

True, it had nothing to do with iOS upgrade. Its working on my iPhone now but the network is very sporadic. I hope it improves with time.

I might apply for 4G card today.. Assuming vodafone center nearby has 4G SIM cards.

I forgot to mention here.

I got 4G SIM but I am not getting LTE symbol!

All I get is 3G symbol.

How do I know if iPhone locked on to 3G or 4G network?

In android it shows 2G/3G next to operators names but no such thing on iPhone!

I forgot to mention here.

I got 4G SIM but I am not getting LTE symbol!

All I get is 3G symbol.

How do I know if iPhone locked on to 3G or 4G network?

In android it shows 2G/3G next to operators names but no such thing on iPhone!

The same place where you see 3G, you will see a "LTE" symbol. Check the iPhone screenshots that users have shared in this post, you will see a LTE in those.

I know that... what I mean is when I change Data mode to "LTE"... it shows signal of about 3 dots (out of 5)

But when I switch on data --- it shows 3G (while i was expecting LTE)

Now there are 2 cases:
  1. LTE is not yet supported in my area so it network as well as data is 3G
  2. LTE is suppored in my area and network is LTE but data is still getting transferred at 3G speed?
Best way to identify is to somehow know if iPhone is connecting to 3G mode or LTE mode.

But iPhone does not seem to have any such feature to know if it is connected to LTE or 3G

@amish

See this screenshot I posted back

Nfz6urC.jpg

Why are you getting confused?
It will show LTE in place of 3G or E

If it doesn't show LTE,
1. You do not have 4G compatible sim
2. There is no 4G tower in your area.
3. You have not enabled LTE under cellular data settings.

If 4G is available, iPhone gives it a priority and auto switches to it. Unless the signal is poor like -110 dbm, then it falls back to 3G.
It will fall back to 3G during call any way.

If it doesn't show LTE, you don't have LTE. Simple as that.
There is no need to call up helpline to activate 4G. It is auto-activated on ALL 4G sims and 1800 Mhz (Band 3) compatible handsets.

I know all that - all I am asking is - shouldn't iPhone give a way (or is there a way) to identify it is on LTE or 3G or 2G. (Preferably without turning on data)

Like in android - when you go to "manual operator" selection - it will show u like this:
Vodafone (2G)
Vodafone (3G)

2 separate networks and then u can select whatever u want.

Last edited:
@amish
I don't think so. iPhone does not allow us to select 4G exclusively. It will fallback to 3G or E if 4G is unavailable. I don't know the logic but have to deal with it.

You can enter incorrect APN and then enable data to check if LTE is there in your area.
This is the best way to not consume data while on 4G network.

Last edited:
visit the store and get sim, no forms need to be filled so applicable for corp connection also I think.

Finally got the SIM via our company authorized signatory this being a corporate connection. Speedtest result below:

U8BeCuZ.jpg

Hi guys

Is keeping the phone on a 3G signal having fair strength more better than keeping LTE with a weak signal (1 or 2 bars) ? The thing is at I am getting only 2 bars for LTE network at my residence, whereas 3G coverage is slightly better. But I do not use cellular data anyways when I am at home (since I have wifi at home). But my battery is still draining fast ( even though cellular data is not in use) when I am on LTE.

So I wanted to know if having a weak (but constant) signal drains off battery ? I know for the fact that the battery will drain off fast if the phone is constantly searching for network. But in my case, network is constantly there, but it's weak.

Please advise.

Well as far as I know 2G consumes less battery than higher gen(3G,4G). So 3G should do the same. Check specs sheet of your phone on gsmarena.com
Battery Removable Li-Po 2900 mAh battery
Stand-by Up to 264 h (2G) / Up to 264 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 39 h (2G) / Up to 16 h (3G)
Lenovo A7000 - Full phone specifications
You can see the difference. Why don't you put your phone on 3G mode at home and find out difference yourself.

2g > 4g >3g if same signal strength. problem is 2g on 900mhz has double the signal strength of 4g from same tower which is 20% better than 3g from same tower.
though there would be more 2g/3g towers in comparison to 4g towers.
So if you don't need data best is to switch 2g.