Trying to replace Airtel router with my own- PPPoE problem?

• Thread starter Thread starter rack201
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 27,669
Hi,

I recently got Airtel FTTH. They installed an Alcatel model/router in the garage which I think is running in Bridge mode. They then patched it to a D-Link WiFi router in the house. I want to replace the dlink router with my own that I bought overseas so I copied the PPPoE settings from the supplied router, and tried to setup my own but it won't connect. I rang Airtel to confirm the PPPoE username and password and still no luck.

I tried to plug from the model direct to a laptop and setup a PPPoE connection on the laptop which still doesn't work. A neighbor has done what I am trying to do successfully..

Any ideas?

You should ask him how has he done that. I am also unable to Do so.

You want to setup the pppoe on your own wifi router, instead of the one airtel gave?

If so, you would need a router that is capable of VLAN tagging, or, setup airtel's router in bridged mode and go from there. Lemme know your setup, I could assist you from there,

i want to setup and use pppoe directly on my laptop by connecting the alcatel lucent modem with my laptop. It is showing error 651 in pppoe connection.

Ok, in that case you would need to first see if the LAN card on your laptop can support VLAN tagging. BTW, what is the model number of the Alcatel modem?

You would need to check the LAN card properties in device manager. Below is an example of how it may look like, different for different vendors.
20150901130933.jpg

Was the Alcatel ONT the only device that airtel setup for you or did they setup a router as well?

I have installed realtek diagnostics utility and it shows this :
yBCfcyE.png

ebpanF

Meanwhile i have a DIR 816 Router given by Airtel

Ok, thats good, it can tag VLANs.

Next question, is the Alcatel in bridged or routed mode? i.e are you able to go online directly plugged into the alcatel or not?

I am not able to go online directly plugged into alcatel.

Ok, so it is in bridged mode then. That would mean the D-Link is doing the tagging. You would need to access the dlink's GUI and retrieve the VLAN tag from there, unless you have it written down somewhere maybe?

I have found this :

802.1Q VLAN ID : (0 = disable, 1 - 4094)