Airtel Wimax, How to get better latency? Would signal strength affect?

• Thread starter Thread starter raman07
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 4,942
ISP
Netplus
Hi, Today i got airtel wimax and its preety good than my bsnl dsl BB. I see the latency drop of up to 50ms on many sites. I saw that my wimax signal strength is -58 dbi which is preety good what i know. I am wondering what if i make it a little bit more better. What if i got -30 dbi signal something then would it drop my latency more. The airtel service guy has installed the antenna on 20 feet poll on my house and its hard fixed.
I want to know. Is it worth moving antenna around my house to get better signal strength than what i am currently having. Would it be worth going below -58 dbi or i am not going to see any improvement?

Thanks

Airtel WiMax. Wow. Mind sharing some more details?

Airtel do not give wimax directly what i know. I just found that in my city there are many individuals people providing wimax internet. The one i got is from a guy who use airtel infrastructure to provide wiamax service across the city.
I pay 3600rs for 4mbps download and upload FUP 100GB then 786kbps unlimited and it have both up and down same speed. I found that latency is way better than bsnl dsl. They installed airgrid antenna on the house roof. What i know is in india wimax service can be given on 5 frequency mode (2.3 2.5 3.3 3.5 5.8) and they are using 5GHZ frequnecy mode to provide wimax service. As i know higher the frequency goes, lower the coverage area since higher frequency have difficulty to penetrate walls. So outdoor cpe is required on good height.
It have really good latency as compare to bsnl dsl connection.

Currently my signal strength is -58dbi and i am wondering if i get a little more better signal somewhere -30dbi then would it decrease latency or it would not affect. Any experience with signal strength affect?

not sure about airtel but i have used bsnl Wimax before. here are my observation.
the antenna is fixed facing towards the cdma tower, changing the position won't make huge difference unless you are getting closer to the tower.
also signal quality and speed will be affected if there is heavy rain out side.
bsnl recommends wimax, only to places where there is no possibility for a wired broadband (remote areas)

Hi , -58dbm not dbi , dbm is the unit for signal strength. This is very good signal for Wimax CPE . There is no problem in that. There should me one more parameter CINR or C/I which will be in db that is the main parameter which effects the latency / throughput . Normally 4 mbps can be attainable at lower signal strength also i.e -80 dBm . even if it is beyond -90 dbm you can get 1 mbps also. But the main parameter is CINR which should be good . If you have good Rx Level ( Signal Strength) and CINR is poor your latency and throughput both will drop. The main cause of poor CINR is interference from other Base stations running at same frequency.

Hi, Today i got airtel wimax and its preety good than my bsnl dsl BB. I see the latency drop of up to 50ms on many sites. I saw that my wimax signal strength is -58 dbi which is preety good what i know. I am wondering what if i make it a little bit more better. What if i got -30 dbi signal something then would it drop my latency more. The airtel service guy has installed the antenna on 20 feet poll on my house and its hard fixed.
I want to know. Is it worth moving antenna around my house to get better signal strength than what i am currently having. Would it be worth going below -58 dbi or i am not going to see any improvement?

Thanks

@gugnani Thank you for informing about CINR. Currently i have not airgrid password to see dbm and db value. I will check CINR value. I know a little bit about CINR but did not know about it affect latency. So what should be my CINR value? They pinged a IP which was getting 1ms response time. I am wondering it that was there tower latency.
I want improve my connection quality to the peak level. I have some work which require us server so latency is very important for me.

And one more thing currently a 4 pair copper wire is connected with airgrid to my modem. what if i upgrade to the fiber cable. Would it increase the CINR value? Current wire length is 20m something.

Last edited:
I do not think an upgrade to fiber would have any effect on your pings as your pings to the CPE on the roof should be <1ms. I too moved to wireless ISP 2 months ago. They have 450mbps lease line from Airtel. I get <1ms to the CPE on the roof, upto 5ms to the Sector and ~20ms to the default gateway. Beyond that it follows Airtel routing.

Last edited:
^^ Exactly as suggested above, there wont be any difference using fiber. Your ping to the air grid cpe already would be 1 ms using the cat 5e cable running 4 pairs.

Also -58dBm is a really good signal strength on this ubiquiti air grid even for 15-20 mbps connection. Even if you wanna improve it to max then it would be somewhere around -45 or -50 dBm. -30dBm would be too hot or noisy for these high gain radios.

These small time spikes you must be observing must those times when the sector antenna or base station or the main router of your WISP is passing on a lot of traffic, atleast that was the case in my experience.