• Thread starter Thread starter uganda
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,713
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
ISP
I'm looking to switch from MTNL to Reliance for an internet connection at my home(Mumbai). Can you tell me how is Thunder 699 plan? Is it really unlimited at 2 Mbps with no FUP?

No FUP..but the quality of service depends from door to door..make sure you have a good review around your area..

Ah, so that's the catch huh? Unfortunately none of my local friends have reliance's internet so I don't know of their quality of service. I'll have to take a plunge into the dark :speechless: Is there anything else I need to be aware of before I subscribe?

These plans sound too good to be true:
Qj9w79s.jpg

Before you take the connection tell the sales guy that you have heard that even if we take 2 mbps plans, maximum line speed you provide is only around 700-800 kbps.
Yes this has happened with a lot of users.
So just ask him that whether he is ready to assure you that you will get full line speed.

1. What issue are you facing on mtnl?

2. Reliance cables are strung on streetlight poles. BMC regularly cuts them down. More of an issue in the suburbs though.

3. Assuming reliance has confirmed feasability at your location; keep mtnl as backup for a month or two at least.

the thing is if it works ! it works wonder!
if it doesnt then be prepared to endure it

I have the same feeling that it is going to be a hit and miss kind of deal.

Before you take the connection tell the sales guy that you have heard that even if we take 2 mbps plans, maximum line speed you provide is only around 700-800 kbps.
Yes this has happened with a lot of users.
So just ask him that whether he is ready to assure you that you will get full line speed.

I understand what you're saying but i think this will mean nothing to that sales guy. I don't think that he'll give two s*hits after they've sold me the connection. But I'll say it just to make myself feel better 😛

1. What issue are you facing on mtnl?

2. Reliance cables are strung on streetlight poles. BMC regularly cuts them down. More of an issue in the suburbs though.

3. Assuming reliance has confirmed feasability at your location; keep mtnl as backup for a month or two at least.

No issues with MTNL at all. I've been using MTNL for the past 10 years or so and not a problem till now except a few disconnections in all those years. But my issue is that they don't have a good and cheap unlimited internet plan now. I'm on their old 1399(or something) plan with 2Mbps at night and 1Mbps during the day. I want to switch to something less and at 599 all they offer is 2Mbps till 8Gb and 1Mbps thereafter. Reliance offers much better value for money.

My friend had a woeful time with MTNL but I had a trouble free 10 years or so. Like I said above, I guess it's a hit and miss with all ISPs but one thing is for sure, customer service usually sucks. MTNL was pretty good regarding CS though. If I ever filed a complaint, it would be solved the next day and 3-4 calls from MTNL babus confirming if the issue has been solved. I guess they've improved a lot.

Last edited:
I had a talk with customer care over the phone and he said that if I decide to cancel, and when I return the reliance router, I'll get the installation charges of Rs. 599 back. Can anyone confirm? If yes, I'll be more than happy to take a risk.

reliance does return back remaining funds. i once received a check for 45 rupees that were pending in a postpaid account at time of cancellation of connection. most other telecom companies do not do that unless you go after them. i am however not sure if the modem costs are refundable.

I had a talk with customer care over the phone and he said that if I decide to cancel, and when I return the reliance router, I'll get the installation charges of Rs. 599 back. Can anyone confirm? If yes, I'll be more than happy to take a risk.
i don't think so , as i didnt got anything last time i had a disconnection.

I used 2Mbps Thunder from Reliance for 6 months. Never had any problem. The customer care was quick and helpful.
I disconnected Reliance because now I am using Den Boomband 5Mbps plan. I did not return the modem to Reliance.

reliance does return back remaining funds. i once received a check for 45 rupees that were pending in a postpaid account at time of cancellation of connection. most other telecom companies do not do that unless you go after them. i am however not sure if the modem costs are refundable.
That was nice of them but I think this situation is a bit different as installation also involves wiring and manpower.
i don't think so , as i didnt got anything last time i had a disconnection.
Sounds about right and this is what I should be expecting going forward

I used 2Mbps Thunder from Reliance for 6 months. Never had any problem. The customer care was quick and helpful.
I disconnected Reliance because now I am using Den Boomband 5Mbps plan. I did not return the modem to Reliance.
Thanks Jagat, sounds great. One time installation charges are not a problem if I am happy with the connection. I hope I have a good experience as you did.

Even Reliance's wireless broadband is not bad. They're offering the same plan for Rs. 999 + the usual 14% tax. One good thing about this is portability, I can carry it to other cities on my travel but again no idea about their network in my home. I guess I can ask them to come to my home and give me a demo to check the signal reception and speed before buying and I do get better signal(All bars on my phone) on reliance's GSM than Airtel(2-3 bars) in my home although I don't know if this is of any relevance.

1. Mobile broadband is on CDMA. Don't except too much. Around 1-2mbps.

2. Reliance GSM can connect to both Aircel and TATA here in Mumbai, so signal strength is consistently better.

3. And yes, GSM has no bearing on CDMA. Check coverage at network.rcom.co.in

Status
Not open for further replies.