Internal Hard-Disk for Laptop

ISP
JIO,BSNL
I need to replace HDD of my old laptop bought in 2009. I never had desktop so I have no idea about hardware.
I have few doubts:-
  • I am confused between 500GB and 1TB, discussed this with my friend he suggest me to to go with 1TB and use it as external HDD when I buy new laptop but I already have 2TB External HDD.
  • As my laptop is old can it power up a 1TB HDD?
  • WD or Segate?
  • Online or Offline which one is better and how to claim warranty in case of hard-disk failure if purchased online?
    here is how it look like.
    Please suggest some models too.

rr9YOzV.jpg

Last edited:
Get a solid state drive. It's like a free hardware upgrade for your laptop.

Upvote 0
thx

LOL Sushubh : you have dropped all love for Crome now and have adopted your town's new name

anyways Bought TATA grand Coffee Rs.10 pouches from local store yesterday.
Its quite different from Nescafe classic and I am loving the taste change.

Upvote 0
I am confused between 500GB and 1TB, discussed this with my friend he suggest me to to go with 1TB and use it as external HDD when I buy new laptop but I already have 2TB External HDD.
As my laptop is old can it power up a 1TB HDD?
There are no issues with using a 1 TB internal hard disk. The laptop should also be able to power it up fine. Use the price of the disks to decide which one to buy. You can also use them in an enclosure later on to repurpose it as an external HDD.

Personally I find external disks to be a hassle if I have to use them regularly.

WD or Segate?
Personal choice. This question can easily start flame wars. 🙂 Toshiba is also a good option.

Online or Offline which one is better and how to claim warranty in case of hard-disk failure if purchased online?
With Seagate at least the process to claim warranty is the same for online and offline. I don't know about others.

Please suggest some models too.
You should keep these factors in mind:
- spindle speed - 7200 rpm has better performance while 5400 rpm likely has lower power consumption
- free-fall sensor - saves your disk from a crash if the laptop falls down

Upvote 0