ACT fibernet 100Mbps rip off

• Thread starter Thread starter ChoGathOP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 11,954
Let us bypass the router for the moment. You said even with the ACT cable directly plugged into your computer, it was 95 Mbit/s.

Have you
1. Updated your network drivers?
2. Checked if your ethernet port is capable of 1000 Mbit/s? It probably is, but no harm in checking. For some reason if it's 100 Mbit/s, then you can't do anything.
3. Checked if the link speed on your ethernet adaptor/port on your computer is set to 'Auto Negotiation'?

There should be some marking on ACT's ethernet cable which mentions the type of cable - cat 5 or cat 5e. Please look at it and let us know.

Finally, this is what I'm seeing now.
Q: Help. Getting 6.5 Mbit/s on a 8 Mbit/s plan. Getting 3.2 Mbit/s on a 4 Mbit/s plan.
A: Contact exchange. Contact engineer. Ask to increase line rate. Escalate. All the best.

Q: Help. Getting 95 Mbit/s on a 100 Mbit/s plan
A: QUIET!

Last edited:
So i was wondering why did you add "Rip off" in the thread title? How did you get Ripped off? Getting 95 Mbps speed instead of 100 Mbps is not Rip off.

You wanna know about Rip off? Take Tikona.

Sigh. The guy did not know about the 80% minimum requirement. It does not matter if he is getting 95mbps. But if he is paying for 100mbps, he has to get what he is paying for (80mbps in this case). It also does not matter what the rest of the country is getting in comparison. Move to Hyderabad/Bangalore if you want to get Act. Blame your local government for sucking so much that a decent fiber broadband company is not finding your city lucrative enough. But a consumer should have the right to demand what he is paying for. Even if he is getting a much better deal than all of you (us as I am in the same group).

5 Mbps missing is probably because of your cheap a$$ router. Get some proper heavy duty stuff like Asus RT-AC68U and then we'll talk.

Also make sure your router and PC's LAN ports are both Gigabit Ethernet compatible. They must also be connected by a CAT5e or CAT6 cable over short distance.

To answer some of your questions.

1)My motherboard is equipped with a gigabit lan port. I'm going to assume it's enough. But I may be wrong. I have an Asus VIII Hero mobo.
I'm not really good at these tech stuff. My friend built a gaming rig for me. I can't get in touch with him at the moment to confirm.

2) I have WR841ND TP-Link. I'm gonna upgrade to WR1043ND in a few weeks as I'm planning to upgrade my plan to 125Mbps.

3) I have already mentioned that I tried connecting the LAN cable directly to my PC. (Without a router. If this helps clearing your doubts.)
Even with direct connection the max speed is like 95Mbps.

4) I added ripoff to the title cos of what the illiterate act guy told me.
"Even if you upgrade your plan to 125Mbps you will only get 95Mbps sir. But you get a higher FUP limit. So that is what you are paying the extra money for. now stfu sir. We can't do anything more for you." (Indirectly and rudely.)

5) Finally after calling 2-3 times and shouting, I got through to a guy who was kind enough to assure me that he is aware of this issue and that ACT is currently working on changing the cables from CAT5 to CAT5E for everyone who recently got upgraded from 60Mbps to 100Mbps. This would take about 2-3 weeks to complete.

Basically, I'm gonna upgrade to 125Mbps soon. So before that, I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the full 100Mbps. My friend who is using Cherrinet 100Mbps is getting the full 100Mbps cos he was provided a CAT5E cable.
I don't understand why you guys think I'm whining and I honestly don't care what you think. I'm paying for my luxury. I learnt a couple things from this thread and I'm more aware of the state of things.

Thanks.

Hey what u do what's advantage u think upgrading speed
I like knowing this instead pull your leg

You visually confirmed that it was cat 5, yeah? Alright.
1)My motherboard is equipped with a gigabit lan port. I'm going to assume it's enough.
Yes, your computer has a gigabit ethernet port and it's fine.

2) I have WR841ND TP-Link. I'm gonna upgrade to WR1043ND in a few weeks
WR841ND can support a theoretical max of 100 Mbit/s (wired). In the real world, it's slower than that.
You can get a router with wireless AC if you want to see faster speeds over wifi. It's up to you.

Last edited: