Can we make multiple PC conn thru switch

• Thread starter Thread starter ways2gain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,193
W

ways2gain

We have discussed before that One can take a Home use connection for Dataone and then plug it ( the output of modem ) into a Swtich ( or Hub ). All PC conncted to the Swtich are supposed to be able to Dial into the Dataone individually thereafter.Has anyone here tried this set up successfully ??I have succeeded in setting up something different but it may not be of use to everyone here. I connected my modem to a Wifi Router and got connectivity in 3 PCs from that. Thereafter I connected the 4th Port to a Switch, and have been trying to set up the system such that all PCs connected to the switch get Internet connectivity.I am confused in one place - do I give IP nos to all my PCs or not. If I dont give then probably the Internet will work but I guess the PCs may not connect for file sharing or will it be Vice Versa.My operating platform or OS on the 1st PC where the intenet is comming is on Win 98 SE.As my 1st PC has 2 LAN Cards, I can even connect the modem directly to the PC and then take one connection out to the Switch from there so that others can use the Net but that compels me to keep the 1st Comp on and use it like a Server else Internet wont work. I know this topic was discussed here earlier but the tread was so long I thought Ill put this one here and Agnivo may be the best person to answer it and then everyone shall benefit from it. The moderator is free to delete this posting if he thinks it is repetitive. Though I think its fruitful.

I could not get a clear picture of the hardware setup through ur post.I hope its like the one below according to my drawing...View attachment 158If u are referring to a different setup, post the corrections below and I'll get an idea...😀

This is stage one. This set up works fine and its very basic.WHat if I have more PCs. Then One Port 1 of the Wifi I will want to add a Switch instead of a PC. That switch will have say 7 Ports idle as Port 1 of that wil be connected to the Wifi. I will then connect 7 PCs to the Switch.Once I do so then what will be the IP settings. Do note that the PCs aill all be on Win 98SE.Your image is otherwise amazingly done up.By the ways your new Avatar is good.

Thanks Mr. Bharat for ur kind words.Just configure the Win98 machines as DHCP clients from the network adapter properties. That will give net access and file sharing too! The router is the DHCP server.But the netmask and workgroup should be the same for all PCs. 😀