Smallest ADSL modem (No wifi, even one LAN port is enough)

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,865

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
So I bought a Negear R7000 Nighthawk Wireless AC router. I have a BSNL connection so I need a modem for it. My existing router is a TP-Link W8968 Wireless ADSL router. The router has it's own issues so I'll be dumping it. I am looking for a plain ADSL modem which is as small as possible. Any pointers?

Tagging @x720 too 😀

Bought TD-8816 which was delivered just now. One more question. What's the best method to connect this to a wireless router. I mean right now I have configured it to dial automatically (PPPoE) and have also changed the modem IP address to 172 series, while the wireless router is on 192 series. There is one more option which is to set the modem at bridge mode and configure wireless router to dial via PPPoE. Any specific advantages?

@x720? 😛

Upvote 0
Bridging has another advantage: when the ADSL link fluctuates (dances between up and down frequently), the modem does not disconnect the PPPoE connection automatically. This allows you to use the Internet for the few minutes it remains up without waiting for the modem to reconnect. It is even more useful when the DSLAM (telco) has a timeout and does not allow immediate reconnection if the connection was not disconnected "properly" (i.e. with a TermRequest).

TLDR: in case of unstable ADSL, without bridging, your Internet connection will be down for a much longer time than with bridging.

Upvote 0