Router for ACT braodband

• Thread starter Thread starter Anand Mg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,778
Hello, this is my first post and trust me I am no tech savvy and have already read the post ACT Fibernet: FAQ - ESPECIALLY for NEW users. I have one simple ques. I don't have a modem. I just have a cable from ACT and I bought a TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router as I was told that with this, without a modem, I would be able to convert my net to wifi. Now I am having tons of issues and not able to connect to the net. I need to know is this the right hardware that I am using for getting on wifi without a modem.

It is the right hardware. You do not need a modem for ACT.
If you were browsing with the ACT cable plugged directly into your computer, you must go to the ACT portal and LOG OFF before setting up the router.

Thanks for the reply. Took me a while to respond. I was getting a yellow triangle like thing on my right hand bottom side saying no internet connection. Somehow I have been able to resolve it. However, I do have a ques. I use my router on first floor and when I step down a few stairs, the network is gone. Is that normal or issue with this hardware.

Download the wifi analyser app for Android or iOS. It will give you the precise wifi signal strength and channels with minimal interference at various points in your house. If you don't receive signal at a certain point in your house, try repositioning the router to a more central place.

If you are still having issues, your last option is to buy a new router that supports dual band and AC protocol. I recently bought a Netgear 6220 gigabit router since my old N router (150 Mbps theoretical max over wifi) was unable to deliver 100 Mbps even when standing right next to it.

Buy a router which supports 4 to 6 times the speed of your internet connection. Wifi losses will be substantial depending on how your house is built and interference from other devices like microwave and cordless.

Last edited: