Airtel 4G Speeds around the country

alphaomega

ISP
BBNL ( 10 Mbps, Unlimited )
Airtel is predominantly the leader in 4G space, with their first mover advantage, in India. It will be interesting to note the real world speeds of their network at different locations in India.

Let us pool the speeds under this title so that it turns out be some kind of general reference.

Please share the speedtest snapshot along with device ( mobile/dongle/hotspot/CPE ),location & city.

Here goes mine.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Device : Mobile

I've recently switched to Airtel 4G SIM at Delhi-NCR. In my area , I mostly see 2 signal bars and even sometime 1 signal bar.
Although speedtest test shows data rates show around 20mbps DL on my phone, what I would like to ask if just 2 signal bars is all that can be accepted ?
does anybody see more than 2 signal bars or full bars on 4G-LTE ?

1386510827.png

Device: Redmi 2

Signal bars don't really mean anything. LTE can work even with low rx levels (dBm). Some phones scale the bars automatically for LTE. Others use the same scale (bars) for LTE and 3G. If the scale is the same, then two bars of LTE do not equate to two bars of 3G, as LTE performs better for the same RxLevel as 3G.

Looks like Mumbai gets true LTE speeds. In Bangalore the LTE speeds are more like 3G speeds.

I have tested this at multiple locations. The average speeds are around 12 Mbps.

There are some rare occasions of the speeds touching 20 Mbps. So, looks like the LTE bands are already congested in Bangalore.

1479413148.png

Device: Airtel WiFi CPE

Ran a test with my 4G dongle and an airtel sim too, got around 20mbps with extremely low signal.

@alphaomega

Is Bangalore on 5MHz of 1800? That might be a reason.

Mumbai is on 20MHz of 2300.

ith their first mover advantage, in India.
Not sure about this. Aircel was first to deploy 4g commercially across souther india states. This was way before Airtel actually announced commercial operations of 4g.

And BTW Airtel claim pan India 4g l, but fact remains.....they have no presence in rajasthan till this moment. Only player testing signals on 4g is jio.....

Aircel 4G is not yet available for individual customers.
Not correct. I have used there connection 1 month back in chennai, when i was thr for some deployment. Whole of my chennai hospital team is using 4g and they all tease us of not being privileged to have any operator providing 4g services in my current location.

They are only providing data services and mpls connections thru 4g to corporates and groups

Yes. Which is why I said that it isn't available to individuals?

Unless of course your team in Chennai is not on a corporate account and have their own individual connections,

I have seen 67 Mbps in Mumbai. Lenovo K3 Note.

But what's the use of such speeds with 200 MB, 500 MB data caps?

Bet all operators want to give max speeds so that we run out of data quickly.

67 Mbps might have been a speed burst of some sort... I am not sure if that kind of speed would have been consistent.

Global LTE speeds are given below. Looks like in Mumbai, you guys are having a free run for now with the kind of speeds you are getting. 🙂

Screenshot-2015-03-12-15.25.32.png

^^ They are consistent at 7 am morning when no one is connected to the tower. I have posted screenshots multiple times when I had the Lenovo K3 note