Tata Sky has increased DTH package prices again

intelprakash

ISP
BSNL (BB Home Rural Combo ULD 500)
My Tata Sky is due for renewal this week so checked the website for prices. I see base pack that cost ₹2090/yr few weeks ago is now 2200. Similarly the English Movie pack was ₹770 is now ₹825/yr. I called TataSky helpline and the guy confirmed the hike in base pack but didn't say anything about add-on pack hike. I guess they've hiked the price of the packages around 25% since last year. I'm gonna pay ₹315/pm which doesn't include HD access fee. Isn't it too much for an average middle class for descent amount of channels?. I remember my friend in Bangalore saying he pays around ₹175 or so for same channels (maybe more) on my package for his digital cable TV connection while I was paying ₹250 or so. The picture quality was same as mine. Why no one cares of ridiculous pricing? I guess government should bring digital cable compulsory all India as almost every house has LED/LCD TV sets in India to stop this DTH guys from looting us.

We pay around 320rs for HD, English movies and few channels (sports and hindi not included) and i think it is nice

They are playing the monopoly game here, seems like a very few production houses are calling these shots and playing this foul game.
The lack of a proper competition among DTH providers unlike the Indian telecom/mobile industry had led to this.
I tried Videcon D2H long duration recharge for 5yrs + 1yr free option because it looked like the most economical option back then, I got very frustrated with the HD recorder box issues and finally sold the box + package for 1/3rd of the price in less than one year !
*Tata Sky products and services are better than the other competitors in my opinion, they hence have the balls to keep increasing the price so often and over charge.

Just wait till broadband penetration increases and for proper IPTV services launch, these worthless DTH providers will then loose their balls and learn a proper lesson of how greed always leads to destruction

Man... I'm soooo pissed with theses DTH operators, looting us in broad daylight !

assuming you have no other option, i suggest to make use of the discount offers from Paytm etc. and minimize the damage as much as possible. the dth bill in my house is probably close to Rs. 1500. I find it insane considering what comes on TV these days.

Yeah. I completely make use of Paytm, mobikwik, freecharge web offers but it still pains. Any other website that I missed ?

You pay 1.5k per month !

Multiple TVs would probably result in bills crossing 1k. Mine should also be around 1k for 3 TVs.

I use 1 primary + 2 add-on, comes up to a little less than 1k. I already fell insane

three tvs all connected to dth. 1500 might be much as my dad is not on the top plan. but my mom definitely is. my brother bought a 1.1lakh Sony hd tv so i am guessing he is paying for the top hd plan as well. so somewhere around that. i make do with my internet bill which comes to around 2500 per month 😛

dad is on videocon. mom is probably on addon plan of brother's zee dish tv. can't be sure if it is independent or part of his. he manages mom's tv. i manages dad's.

There was a point where we had - Dish Tv, Airtel DTH, Cable TV - We were paying around 1000. Without HD & also not all channels - Each Tv was having moderate number of channels. Decided to change everything to D2H alongside getting 2 HDs boxes over a course of 3-4 months.. Cost came down to around 800 for premium package in all 3 TVs.. Now, of course price increase has meant we are back to 1k. But then atleast 2 TVs are HD and also if we had continued the old, it would have probably touched 1200...

Economically it makes sense to have a single provider...

😊

I got my dad and mom on cable for a few months. Both gave up largely because of channels disappearing now and then because of non payments. With DTH, dad miss local haryana news channels that were available on the CAS box. but at least the channels do not disappear randomly. of course he does hate the transmission problems during rains. but then cable guy used to lose power backup during heavy rains as well. so there's that.

Wow 1500 per month? It's more than I pay for an year. We are paying Rs100 per month for cable TV with a dozen of local channels [total 85+ channels], of course transmission quality is not great, but good enough for the price. Using only 1 TV 32" Samsung HD 3D LED and old CRT one is lying without use as I feel having one TV in each floor of house will reduce interaction between family members [mostly mom and my wife, kids], which I thought is a bad thing.

Further there is no real HD Tamil channel and that is another reason I am not using DTH, even though my family members urge me to buy DTH during power cuts as we have surplus solar power in the house.

I will wait till set top box portability and handful quantity of Tamil channels in real HD before going for DTH .