BSNL - MTNL Merger

ISP
2mbps UL "Magic Connection"
Mtnl-Bsnl merger !u must be knowing,Bsnl 2mbps or other plans are cheaper than mtnl's,thier modem rent is cheaper too,Data limits are high,Nu available.Both are govt,then why the fvckn diff.i guess this merger will sort the mess.but when the fvck is it happening !merger is being delayed just b'coz of Mr. Moron. as merger report has already been given to him.After merger,same plans all over india,so more competition in Delhi after the merger, resulting better services, competitive reduced pricing (from Airtel) .Well i hv heard about Wimax, and the speeds with it 10mbps or so,India will see a revolution in 2007.Sify uses wimax, Airtel uses wimax, Aircel uses Wimax, bsnl uses wimax.in future,more speeeds, less prices are guaranteed 🙂

Lol theres fc***n difference btwn MTNL Mumbai and MTNL Delhi [Read U/L Traffic Plans]and u r talkin of MTNL and BSNL Merger ??its not happenin atleast in near future

What benefit will the custumers get, If they are merged?: Ans: NOTHINGNo one will be benefitted if they are merged

NEW DELHI: The Prime Minister's IT advisor Sam Pitroda said on Friday the Government is not planning to merge BSNL and MTNL, but efforts are on to
sell stake in BSNL.

"There is no move to merge BSNL and MTNL", he told reporters here today, however, adding the Government is considering selling a part of its stakes in BSNL and will move in "quickly" in that direction.

A high-level review meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh earlier this week had agreed to consider a suggestion for immediate sale of 10 per cent Government equity in BSNL.

BSNL selloff likely soon, no BSNL-MTNL merger: Pitroda- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Concerned over deteriorating financial health and competitiveness of state-run telecom firm BSNL, the government has constituted a
high-level committee, headed by Sam Pitroda and Deepak Parekh as member, to look into the issues and give recommendations within a month.

This was decided at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week to review the performance of two telecom PSUs - BSNL and MTNL.

"There was an agreement that the situation of BSNL required immediate action to address both the short as well as long term issues affecting its financial health and competitiveness," the Prime Minster's Office (PMO) said here.
PM forms committee to arrest BSNL's falling revenues- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Chennai Telephones was a separate unit & a lot of protest happened by the govt. employees belonging to Chennai Telephones, but after a few talks - it did happen - Though that was many years ago & now things maybe much more complex

If this happens then BSNL would have pan-india presence.Well,despite of having presence in two of the most important cities in INDIA MTNL is making a loss..I didnt knew MTNL is such a loser

http://www.readability.com/articles/nsmebvzm
The group of ministers (GoM) looking at ways to revitalise the two state-run telecom companies — Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and MTNL — is expected to meet in the next few days and discuss the proposal for trifurcation of the two behemoths. The plan is to spin off two new companies — one each for network infrastructure and land development — out of each telco.BSNL and MTNL would continue to be services and marketing companies. Among the new firms proposed to be spun off, each of the two would get one company to handle telecom infra (towers, networks, etc) and the technology business, and another (for land development and utilisation) to manage and monetise land assets in phases.

Good move. Hope they also change all old people warming their seats for many many years there.

What is hard? to divide BSNL/MTNL, or to remove old employees 🙂
Last week I wanted to get BSNL 3G sim card. Unfortunately it is available only in BSNL exchange. I went there.
Old lady sitting at desk who issued sim card, also had task to recharge BSNL prepaid numbers. When I asked that I want to get sim card, she told me to wait, as already she was issuing sim card to 2 person came before me. I sat waiting there. But the process of issuing seem to never ending. She was doing 1 task, like handing over form, then carry on recharge activity. Every recharge took 5 minutes, and she done 4-5 recharge till I was there. After waiting for 45 minutes, I was exhausted and frustrated. I asked if I can at-least choose number, and start filling form, but she refused, and told me to wait some more time. I left... BSNL lost 1 prospective customer 🙂

That's the thing. One thing that government jobs offer that private companies do not? Stability of job. It is not easy to get rid of the babudom culture at BSNL and MTNL. These employees would go on hartaal as soon as they see that something is being done to push them to be more efficient.
That alone is the reason why BSNL and MTNL are not reaping profits through infrastructure creation and renting to private companies. Logically speaking, it is stupid to expect them to offer services at par with private operators. That's why they should be converted into a B2B service providers where they would have to offer a SLA to private company.