Mutual Funds

Originally posted by amda@Jun 7 2005, 02:13 PM
Anybody knows something about investing in Mutual funds?
[snapback]11675[/snapback]
[/quote]

yes i know as i'm working with that co. only, its a fantastic way investing. sip is the best way to go ahead.

1. Which co. are you talking about? 2. If one can take large risks, which balanced equity fund is best? I am not interested in sectoral fund, debt fund, index fund, etc. 3. Which are the equity linked tax saving funds giving good returns. What is the front load for such funds and what are the terms. 4. What is sip? How much of monthly 'take home' should be invested monthly What are expected returns? Which fund? Best wishes.Well ... its 04th Sept .... will 'lostmink' find time to answer?

i am planning to invest in reliance equity fund. can anyone please suggest me what are the dividend plans and growth plans.thank you.

As I mentioned in Title, can anybody here please explain in simple language what is Mutual Fund 🙂
My financial planning knowledge is limited and I have never invested in stock market. I have so far invested in Fixed Deposit and NSC. Maximum interest earned there is 8-9%. I want to try with some other investment option which could earn me more interest compared to FD/NSC.
I read on several websites that Mutual Fund "may" provide more returns, but they "could" be risky as well.
So could anybody please explain how Mutual Fund work? How much could I earn at end of year if I plan to invest Rs 10000, either whole amount or monthly distributed?
There is old thread https://broadband.forum/topic/1042-mutual-funds/ which is not very helpful.

I have invested in ULIP which are kind of Mutual Funds I believe. You invest money in a fund. That fund invests in different types of markets like stock and commodities.
Basically, your money is indirectly invested in the same markets that you can yourself decide to do. The difference is that here others are making decisions for you with a much much larger capital available to them.
Now, this investment can generate profits which is shared with you or losses which is shared with you.
I lost money on Bajaj Allianz mutual funds. Barely broke even on Tata AIG. I invested to save tax. I am completely out of ULIPs now. Only PPF for me now.

For starters, if you are very lucky you can get some returns, else you will lose money either through invisible deductions or losses.
Better try other options

Right. There are no short term gains in Mutual Funds. The funds I was invested in were not looking to improve in the near future. Instead of risking more losses I decided to pay the early withdrawl penalty.

chromaniac said:
Basically, your money is indirectly invested in the same markets that you can yourself decide to do. The difference is that here others are making decisions for you with a much much larger capital available to them.
From what I understand, people suggest its ideal to go for SIP (Monthly investment) and should stay invested for more than a year .. to reduce risk. But even then cant say.

😀 I do not understand what SIP is. My investments in ULIP policies were sort of monthly as in the money was invested on a pro-rata basis. But I paid in bulk once a year. Something on that line. I hope more knowledgeable people post here!
I was invested in both Bajaj and Tata for multiple years. 6 and 3 years I think. I do not think I was ever in a position to make more than 5% profits. Bajaj one was a major major loss.

ever in a position to make more than 5% profits
😱hmy:
You are already turning me away from Mutual Fund to FD...
I also read PPF in your post. Which banks offer PPF? I guess SBI offers PPF, any other?

If you have dealt with stocks, SIP I would say is similar to averaging.
Basically you invest say 1000 Rs. every month on a fix day. The price varies based on stock market fluctuations and by averaging, you may not be the biggest gainer, but you will not be heavily in loss as well, because you would have bought some units while market was down as well. So whenever market is steady, you would be at an even and in a position to sort of break even.

SVK said:
😱hmy:
You are already turning me away from Mutual Fund to FD...
I also read PPF in your post. Which banks offer PPF? I guess SBI offers PPF, any other?
Even ICICI Bank is allowed to offer PPF these days 😀
All government banks already offer PPF.
If you want safe... Open an account in Yes Bank or any other bank that is offering high interest. Use it for savings account. I think Yes offers 6-7% compared to 4% for most banks.
Invest extra money in FD which gives you 9+% interest 😛
Invest up to 1 lakh rupees per year in PPF. 😛
Risk free low return investment.

I was maybe not bothered or conscious, but now Google is beginning to freak me out. I am getting the same feeling that one gets when the manager is standing behind and watching what you are doing at work