Reality of Hathway Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter smokein
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 6,427

smokein

ISP
IIT Varanasi's net
Now I don't usually write reviews, but I feel kind of cheated by Hathway Broadband (Bangalore) thats why I am writing this long review.
Lets start with installation. Hathway guy came within 2 hours after the call and collected advance amount for 3 months and next day installed the wire and router. Wire which was installed to my house was an old one and I asked to give new wire, then they just tested the old wire and said it is working fine.
Then I checked the internet speed for about 20-30 times on speedtest and noticed something fishy. Sometimes I was getting around 30mbps but most of times 2-5 mbps.
Now the idea behind this is when you test the speed on THEIR server (HCDPL) you will get around 25-50 mbps and when you test on any other server you will get 2-5 mbps.

When you complaint CC, they will say that they noted down our concern and never gets back to you. Even if they show up, they will just test the speed on HCDPL server and leave.
I paid for 50 mbps internet not for intranet.

On Reliance server Bangalore:

On HCDPL server Bangalore:

Hathway is useless. I have been facing issues since last 1 month persistently. They are unable to fix the issue.

Dear Customer,

We apologize for any inconvenience, please share your account number with us. We will get back to you.

Regards,
Hathway Broadband

And this is a standard reply.

Dear Customer,

We apologize for any inconvenience, please share your account number with us. We will get back to you.

Regards,
Hathway Broadband

I had my internet gone for over a week and they kept telling me they will fix it in 24 hours. Their CC is a joke. I mean even my 8 year old BSNL Connection in a Tier 2 City was 100 times better than this (8 years back). Forget about BSNL right now in Bangalore - it is a thousand times better. What is the use of 50 Mbps when the internet itself does not work.

BSNL is very under rated. I have had Bsnl for almost 4, 5 months now without any issues. There was one downtime of which I complained on self care portal after one hour of downtime which was fixed day after at 11 am. That's it. There were 3 more downtimes which lasted for 1 or 2 hours max.

The best way to check bandwidth is download a big video from youtube then whatever the file transfer rate will come that will be your actual speed.

when you test the speed on THEIR server (HCDPL) you will get around 25-50 mbps and when you test on any other server you will get 2-5 mbps.

I totaly agreed with the review but thought to clarify, which ever isp you take, as per the regulatory framework, the speed mentioned in plan is vaild till the pop of isp and beyond isp to open world is on best effort basis.

I this might sound absurd, but this how TRAI also mandate the speeds to be monitored. So if from thr server you get more than 85% of promised speed l, then the isp is fulfilling it promise.
Having said that i am not favouring isp on this, but educating you the exact technicality of the matter. If you want, i can explain the logic behind why it is measured till the isp pop only and not to the internet individual server.

I totaly agreed with the review but thought to clarify, which ever isp you take, as per the regulatory framework, the speed mentioned in plan is vaild till the pop of isp and beyond isp to open world is on best effort basis.

I this might sound absurd, but this how TRAI also mandate the speeds to be monitored. So if from thr server you get more than 85% of promised speed l, then the isp is fulfilling it promise.
Having said that i am not favouring isp on this, but educating you the exact technicality of the matter. If you want, i can explain the logic behind why it is measured till the isp pop only and not to the internet individual server.

This user
Hey may I know what books u read how ur knowing every bit of internet related problems

Pr
I'm inspired by your internet ideas

Please tell your qualification
I want to learn more like u
Thanks

Last edited:
@handa10 thanks for the compliment....but i am just like you all an normal citizen. Just that i hold solid experience of 18 years dealing and working with telcos and isp. I am not extraordinary, i am just like you all and thr people on this forum who know more that what i know. I am just sharing what i know.......!

I was aspired and educated to become a CA, but somehow took a wrong trun on a redlight one morning and ended working of IT companies for a decade. Now for last 7-8 years have my own start where we do random stuff just to kill time 😉 and enjoy life.

Last edited:
I had applied for new connection when i inquired over the phone about the feasibility of new connection they simply confirmed it and sent there person for documentation and payment and upon handing over the documents and payment i rechecked it about the feasibility of new connection in my area now it has been a week i and i called up to check when i will be getting this new connection and now the installation team is saying that feasibility issue is there in your area. As a responsible company you people should not misguide the customers,your people should be aware of the service able area if you are providing service in new delhi.

onlinedelhi@rediffmail.com