Hitachi Ace Inverter Split AC

I bought a 1.5T Hitachi Ace Inverter Split AC last year. I ordered it through Hitachi India online store Buy air conditioners, refrigerators at best price | Hitachi E-Shop and it was delivered to me in 1 month. I got employee discount on the AC and thus had to live with the delay in shipments but 1 month seriously sucks.

It is the best air conditioner I have seen till date. It cools brilliantly in hot Delhi weather and air throw is amazing.
(I/Close relatives have used: Hitachi Window, Hitachi Non-Inverter Split, LG Window, Haier Split , Carrier Window, Samsung Split, Voltas Split).

The room in which the AC is installed has an approx area of 185sq ft. The room has a big glass window 30sq feet (covered with a curtain) and AC is installed in direct sunlight.

I want to keep my room on the cooler side at 22 degrees and this is the first air conditioner I have experienced in which I do not have to adjust the fan to a higher setting to get relieve in the peak summer neither do I set the louver direction directly towards me and still I can feel room being cooled quite efficiently.

But as usually the case nothing is perfect and in this case a really good AC is paired with the shittiest remote I have seen for any remote controlled device (no just AC). AC misses several key punches on the remote even when we carefully keep transmitter in the direction of AC.

Different buttons perform different actions based on the state of AC (most idiotic idea ever) and the actions are not at all listed on the remote eg: The swing button controls the swing when AC is running and it turns off the filer clean indicator when AC is off. There is no indication on remote which suggest that.

Further the button on outside the flap do not interact with the hardware on their own but they press the button inside the flap and state of the flap determine what action AC should perform (AC On/Off button is an exception). Commonly used buttons are outside (temp control, swing and fan speed) and we all know what breaks in a remote like this.

FWIW, the AC does not have any LCD on the inside unit and temperature that is set can only be checked from the remote. It is not a con for me because I think the displaying the set temperature is generally not of any use (personal opinion) but as I mentioned as the AC misses several key presses this becomes a problem as many a time temperature being displayed in remote is different from what it is actually set.

(I think Haier has the most practical display in this regard where they show the room temperature when AC is running and not interacting with remote and as soon as some one start pressing key on remote the display changes.)

In a broader picture I am happy with the performance of the AC till now but Remote feels cheap and could have been a lot better.

Cheers!!

We should do a thread on AC remotes! I have had experience with a couple of models. Here is my experience...

The Carrier 2T Split I had for 6-7 years had the best remove. 6 buttons one small display and it was fantastic.
Hitachi Window 2T has a decent remote. Has a button to turn on light in the display which is super helpful at night. BUT, a lot of features are hidden inside a door like flap which is painful to access in any condition.
General 1.5T Window. Very confusing remote. I still do not understand it. Do not have to deal with it much as dad's room has it.
Hitachi 1.5T Split... This one has the shittiest remote. So bad that I think dad bought a spurious product while he was in Chandigarh and I was in Gurgaon. I also think this because the AC has never worked properly since day one. I asked dad to dump it and get a new one. He does not agree. Has spent 10K on installation and shifting in the last 4-5 years (construction) and it is still as useless as day one.
I currently have a Daikin 1.8T Split. AC is fantastic. Remote is confusing. Most buttons are hidden in a slideout panel. I still have not managed to get a setting that does not freeze me to death during sleep. Which is why I just turn it on at maximum cooling and turn it off after 30 minutes or so when I go to sleep. Turn it on again if I wake up during the night and turn it off if it wakes me up because of intense cooling. I wish I could get it to work so that it can maintain proper temperature.

I would try to post the image of the shitty Hitachi remote tomorrow. It's insanely bad.

PS: Most remotes I find today has a clock feature which has its uses. But Carrier one I had basically let me set a timer to go off. Which is much much better than configuring the remote to turn off at 3:00am because well... it is just so much more painful. I remember when I had the Carrier one, I just set it to go off after an hour and went to sleep. Tension free jugaad.

Agree on sleep mode. My old LG had the same and it was super useful. The Panasonic I have now works on the clock method and needs to be pointed towards the AC for it work on the desired time. Really shitty.

The remote went kaput and the replacement remote was 1300 bucks. Pissed me off.

whoa. the counter is in the remote and it sends the command to the ac at the time of turn off so it has to point towards the ac? never seen this requirement before 😱

That beats everything else.

To be honest I have never used the timer feature on the AC, I do not even have clock set on my AC remote to use it.

For me, the sleep mode where temperature goes up by 1 degree Celsius every hour and then adjusts in the morning (When required) always works. I do not even know if my AC has this feature as I have mentioned I like my room cold so I have not yet required it.

Hitachi calls it Kaimin I think. Never really got it to work as per my needs. 😕

hehe. i generally hate winters. but this time around, i am waiting for winters to arrive because it is much easier to sleep under a quilt than to deal with temperature control on ACs these days 😀