D-Link DSL-502T Firmware Glitch

• Thread starter Thread starter agnivo007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 23,307
Searched on google for a while. Found nothin regarding hacking dsl modems. There was mention of cable modems being uncapped though, motorola ones in particular.Even if there is a way to hack the 502T i think it'll be too complicated for the avg person as it'll require tampering with the hardware and god knows what else. But the search will continue 😛

last i heard, they fixed the uncapping holes, circa 2002/3, but who knows, new models, new holes...Mr Death, sir, will be eagerly awaiting ur research results (for mt800)

Death is absolutely right about uncapping. For more go here ...

First up, DSL uses totally different technology. For cablemodems, the modems are provisioned, and speeds are set by BOOTP packets the modem uses. For DSL the PHONE LINE itself is provisioned to a speed by a configuration on the DSLAM. Your speed has nothing to do with your modem. And PPP is only needed to tell the DSLAM to bridge your connection, not to determine speed.

The difference is like this.

Lets say two neighbors have cablemodems, and both are wired with cable. One has high speed and the other has low speed. They decide to trade modems and plug each others modems into their own houses. What happens?

The low speed customer now has high speed. The high speed customer has low speed.

Next scenario. Two neighbors have DSL, both connected via their own phone lines. One has high speed. The other has low speed. They decide to trade modems, and plug each others modems into their phone lines. What happens?

The high speed customer still has high speed. The low speed customer still has low speed.

With cable, speed is determined by the modem.

With DSL, speed is determined by the phone line (according to the DSLAM).

I've downloaded all tutorials, and apps from that TCNiSO site, about a year back, when I had a 40 Kbps connection for 800 bucks, and I was sort of out to get revenge, but nothing really happened😛

Lastly, the legal aspect of it all...Uncapping your modem amounts of theft of service, and is a completely illegal and unethical thing to do. The ISP can initiate legal prooceedings against you, and ban you for life, and other ISPs may follow suit, too. Uncapping your cable modems to obscene speeds will only attract their attention. I already know the replies some of you might post to this..."But we are getting ripped off in the name of broadband...", "We certainly deserve better speeds at lower prices..." blah blah...

Face it dudes, we just have to wait for some more months to see how the Indian broadband scenario fans out...

Cheers,
Amogh
~~Peace~~

amol, your half right!well, actually amol if u do the switching the modem trick in TRIBAND (or other dsl)...you will get "switched speeds" unless you change your Account info...the info is stored inside the modem...so the server will think its still the high speed user!mtnl does not validate you wiht the phone line you use....but the account info inside the modem...dsl in other countries may be diffenrent!well, thats what i think...if im wrong plz correct me! thankies! 😉

Hey all.Uncapping cable modems is very easy.Now even the SB5100 is uncapable.Thats a docsis2.0 modem.There are 2 sites,that I know of, selling uncapped modems, too.Uncapping DSL is not possible.

Originally posted by St0le@Dec 22 2005, 06:31 PM
amol, your half right!
well, actually amol if u do the switching the modem trick in TRIBAND (or other dsl)...you will get "switched speeds" unless you change your Account info...

the info is stored inside the modem...so the server will think its still the high speed user!

mtnl does not validate you wiht the phone line you use....but the account info inside the modem...

dsl in other countries may be diffenrent!

well, thats what i think...if im wrong plz correct me! thankies! 😉
[snapback]36881[/snapback]
[/quote]

No dude, MTNL uses ADSL2+ technology, which is quite the norm everywhere around the world, speeds are set to your 'physical' phone line...so unless you physically change your phone line, there's well nigh anything you can do about it... 🙁

Cheers,
Amogh
~~Peace~~

Amogh's right. I did a lot of googleing, but I came up with nothing positive about uncapping DSL connections. I guess I'm going to have to go back to Iqara. Though, having to create the TFTP and uncap my modem everytime I wanted speed really sucked 🙁 I ended up trying to keep the modem on as long as possible using my UPS when there were power cuts. And recently the power cuts have been a really pleasant happening.

guess im wrong! thanx!btw i hear uncapping can get u in trouble...operators can take u to court..and stuff!Cheers (i support non-alcoholic Hydrogen Dioxide....do u?)St0le

Originally posted by amogh_gulwady@Dec 22 2005, 07:59 PM
No dude, MTNL uses ADSL2+ technology, which is quite the norm everywhere around the world, speeds are set to your 'physical' phone line...so unless you physically change your phone line, there's well nigh anything you can do about it... 🙁
[snapback]36888[/snapback]
[/quote]

Am still not sure abt this coz....
1. When the MTNL site is down and we are able to login with fake id's, the speeds still remain the same as alloted. That tells u that they're set from the exchange side and u cant do anything abt it.
2. Sometime back there was a discussion on whether it was possible to use someone else's account and this guy said that his friend had the 1mbps commercial pack and how he was helping him use up his usage limit and getting 1mbps in the process....

So these are two contradictory observations...although even i feel that it's physically set from MTNL's side and there's nothin u can do abt it.

Non-alcoholic Hydrogen Dioxide? Nah, marijuana is cheaper🙂🙂[/b]

When you have Pink Floyd to go with it, you're in another universe altogether, dude.
😀 😛 B)

Cheers,
Amogh
~~Peace~~
\m/

i use Banging Head on walls to get high...woks evy tme! (whoooo)!pretty pink spots!! nice! floor! cold!blood! salty!ambulance ppl! ugly!Be careful! Big Broth...Sushub is Watching! 🙂EDIT: how stupid can i be....Dihydrogen Oxide! not Hydrogen Dioxide! me bad @ chemistry!

Originally posted by St0le@Dec 23 2005, 11:12 AM
i use Banging Head on walls to get high...woks evy tme! (whoooo)!

DUDE :huh: you've gotta be to stoned to begin with to even think of trying that sheit 🙂 LOL

Originally posted by Death@Dec 22 2005, 09:01 PM
Amogh's right. I did a lot of googleing, but I came up with nothing positive  about uncapping DSL connections....

I rest my case 😕