Getting gud torrent speeds.

cooldudevamsee

[OP]
Apr 17, 2007
Hi,let me explain a bit of tech behind this thing.Sify is not restricting bandwidth between two systems under same switch, so If two are more systems under same switch tried to download a same torrent file they they get very good speeds.Recently I tried to download a Linux CD image around 700mb, and to my surprise I was able to download the file within 20 mins with the speed range of 512KBPS to 6MBPS (Not bits people they are bytes).So, If you got a sify neighbour. if he/she is under same switch, go to them with some sweets. ;-)I am not sure about whether this kind of traffic is counted in download limit plans.:thumbsup:

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
well gtalk would move the files at network speeds if two guys are sharing files on the same network. same applies to sify and other lan based networks. it's a lan... not sure if the torrent data in this case would be added to your bandwidth.

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
in past few versions of Azureus there is a LAN peer finding plugin. So due to this plugin you will get those LAN speeds if someone on your LAN is also downloading the same torrent.

cooldudevamsee

[OP]
Apr 17, 2007
That night I used utorrent. I was just lucky, I guess.In azureus there are LAN peer plugns, and also u can manually add new peers.I think you don't need to worry about this stuff, If you have enabled DHT in first place.

polo98

Mar 17, 2007
hey cool dude.. u made me smile, i'm on top floor and a guy at ground floor have same sify plans..may be its the same switch.. do we go ahead? i need more detailed help from u.. i use bitcomethey sushubh.. what is gtalk??

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
umm google talk. most file sharing services would tend to pick up people on your local network and give you lan speeds...

banda

~
Regulars
Nov 3, 2006
@polo98if u both r in the same building then there is a good chance u will also b on the same network... u can swap files directly

cooldudevamsee

[OP]
Apr 17, 2007
@teamare2006256kbps Unlimited. Planning to change ISP soon.@polo98Working with torrents are relatively easy once you know how they work.I know about BitComet but I recommend either utorrent or Azureus as BitComet is banned on some torrent trackers.

jazzyjazzy

Regular
Regulars
Nov 21, 2006
you guys basically want to say that if one of my friend is under same switch, i can d/w file from him on very high. How this can be done and how do i know whether we are under same switch