Caller Id Enabled Modem for BSNL Telephone Line

• Thread starter Thread starter bearded
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 64,393

bearded

Is anybody, who can confirm that which modem is truely functional as a CALLER ID enabled in Indian Telephone Line condition, specially the landline of BSNL. I want to use the modem for IVRS purpose.

Let's see...

meanwhile read this article :
http://www.ivrsoft.com/fax-modems.htm
We see that most of the common modem chipsets like motorola,hcf,us robotics are compatible... 🙂

More detail :
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

U can check any modem u have for caller-id with this free program :
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/callerid.htm

Most of the foreign brand modems have caller-id facility but they dont detect indian caller-id signals. Indian called-id info is sent in DTMF format if i am not wrong and the modems work on FSK.I tried to do the same but neither of the 3 modems that i had ie GVC, US robotics and multi-tech detected caller info though in the modem settings they were indicated to be caller-id compatible.

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Jun 4 2005, 08:41 PM
Most of the foreign brand modems have caller-id facility but they dont detect indian caller-id signals. Indian called-id info is sent in DTMF format if i am not wrong and the modems work on FSK.

I tried to do the same but neither of the 3 modems that i had ie GVC, US robotics and multi-tech detected caller info though in the modem settings they were indicated to be caller-id compatible.
[snapback]11351[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes cyberwiz, u r right! I myself have also tried US Robotics, D-Link, HP's USB modem,etc.. but not succeeded.
Is anybody who can have an idea about BSNL People.. what they use for their purposes for Caller ID...!

Hmm... seems like some BSNL guys around here can answer that question on the standard used for called-id.I had read about a geeky guy who built his security system and used IVRS in the procedure. If he could use it, there must be some way to do that in India.Anyway, did u test caller-id using analogx caller-id ?

Another findout, friends !

Having a Krypton SmartLink chipset based 56k modem. Tried Hyperterminal to determine whether it supports called-id. The command AT#CID=1 gives response=ok. Then called to landline from cell. The ring signals are printed as RING. After each ring, a RING statement flashes out. But no number is displayed !!! 🙁

Get this detailed article : http://www.yes-tele.com/modem.htm

Yes, thats the problem-the modem is caller-ID enabled but it does not detect Indian caller ID info.BTW, agnivo, ur sure that caller-ID is enabled on ur landline from the exchange? Here in Delhi, MTNL does it by default, dont know abt BSNL. My gvc and multi-tech modems did the same thing, the response to the command was ok but on connecting thru hyper-terminal only the word ring flashed without any caller information.There's a company called Priya, maybe they manufacture the type of modems we need here.

Yea, caller-id is enabled on my line...A caller-id device is easily detecting the numbers...But the modem can't... 🙁

I had mentioned about the krypton modem I'm having...It's the brandname of Priyagroup. They are having about 5 modems based on different chipsets.

Site : http://www.priyagroup.com

Originally posted by bearded@Jun 4 2005, 02:06 PM
Is anybody, who can confirm that which modem is truely functional as a CALLER ID enabled in Indian Telephone Line condition, specially the landline of BSNL. I want to use the modem for IVRS purpose.
[snapback]11320[/snapback]
[/quote]

most v.92 modems which can detect call waiting should detect the caller ID with appropriate softwares controls that get installed with the modem drivers. In India the caller ID standard is DTMF (Dual tone multi Freq.) Hence software should be configured with DTMF or some softwares have facility to automatically detect CID standard by specifying country.

Can u direct us to such software or drivers?I read somewhere that the ability to detect caller info depends on the chip installed in the device and not the software.

Is there some one using caller id capable modem ? any one succeded ? i have been searching for caller id capable modem from such a long time and i couldnt get one ..Never knew its not easy to work on Bsnl.. Can some one tell me te prices of caller id capable modem and where its available in india ... especially blore..thx in advance

I dont think such modems are available here...if yes, then it would be very difficult to find them 🙁

dtmf to fsk convertor on market. under 10 usdollies$in the netherlands same problem use convertor.greetings Lauris

Hi Guys,

I am in Delhi and have MTNL service. Recently I started looking into Modem Caller ID feature and thus came to this forum.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have tested my modem for caller id and its working well. Initially I wasnt able to retrieve any information out of it except in the Terminal Window.

I tried many professional Caller ID softwares but none of them retr. this info.

Ultimately as a last resort I wrote a VB code to retrieve this info and was able to successfully get caller number into my program.

I noticed 2 things that in Delhi, MTNL( as I am mtnl subscriber ) they transmit only the number of the caller. So thats the only information which you can get. But in other countries( I know of Canada as I was there for 3 yrs ) they send Number, Name, Date/time too. This is why some commercial softwares, which are configured to retrieve information only in a set pattern(eg: DATE xxxxxx,TIME xxxxxx,NMBR xxxxxxxxxx ,NAME xxxx), are not able to retrieve caller number(MTNL send only xxxxxxxx) which is recieved by your modem, which you can see in terminal window but not anywhere else.

Secondly this information is sent between the first and the second ring. So you can not utilize the bann caller feature of many commercial softwares efficiently. It WILL bann the call, but only after the first and second ring. So a little inconvenience.

But apart from that every things working cool.

For your information I bought a really cheap(Rs.200) iNTEX Smart Link SL2800 chipset modem, updated the drivers from www.driverguide.com and enabled the AT#CID=1(my modem's caller ID command, your's can be different) command in the advance tab of modem properties.

And if you are ready to spend some money, one of the commercial software(only one for me), which after a couple of hit and trial, settings etc was able to retrieve the number is Ascendis Caller ID available at http://www.ascendis.com/ . Their software can detect your modems caller id feature, if available or not, CID commands of modem and possible repair/fix of modem so that it sends info correctly to software( only if CID feature is present in your modem ). So I guess its a pretty cool sw for a low price of 35$.

Thats all. If you want to know about my VB code, mail me or check my site in a months time as I will be posting the complete procedure there(www.keysnclicks.com).

I hope this was of some help to some one.

Have fun..