• Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,340

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
which one you prefer and why?i am getting frustrated with gnome in the 3-4 hours i have used it due to lack of customisations it offers me. downloading KDE right now.

KDE my choice using from 4-5 yrs now. GNOME gives me odd feeling.

Another Question which is the best distros for lamp server with GUI. I tried ubuntu server then installed ubuntu desktop on it! Was unsuccessful a blank screen shows after login.

i use FC6 and console or webmin for administration

why not just use ubuntu. it would have all the lamp components. even better try wubi... 😛

for LAMP fedora is rock solid.As for KDE vs Gnome....it depends on the user....there are power users who prefer to do most of their stuff from commandline, desktop wont matter, and Gnome wud suite such people better as it hogs less resources.For a normal user who wants all the eye candy and stuff, KDE still rules. In fact I still use KDE even 4 yrs after switchin to Linux.Even though I use commandline for many of my tasks , I prefer KDE. So its really down to personal prefs. Also application support is better now in KDE than Gnome (I now we can run apps irrespective of the desktop ..but i am talkin abt native apps)

KDE for me (with openSUSE)

I used to prefer KDE but now I simply prefer GNOME. The apps are decent. KDE apps are certainly friendlier but those few apps which are better in KDE can always be launched in GNOME. No hassles. GNOMEs way faster, more memory efficient and cleaner look appeals to me.This is coming from a KDE guy who has been a staunch KDE supporter and GNOME critic for the past 5-6 years. So you guess what my word means 😛 Anyway, to each his own. Use both. Decide what works best for you. Use it 🙂

that email is abt 1 and half yr old. but yes KDE for me is still better.actually KDE had a head start but at that time it was not GPL and hence gnome came into existence but then soon KDE was released under GPL. but redhat had already chosen gnome as default.since long i am waiting for fedora team to make KDE as default UI environment. i dont think it wud be done though.

yea Sushubh, that menu is there on the current version of openSUSE (10.2) 🙂its also supposed to have the compiz/desktop effects thing, but i dont have the hardware to try it out 🙁

i m no linux junkie so i like my windows desktop best(feels like heaven:thumbsup🙂
but anyways i even hav my start menu etc to vintage win98 look so no wonder gnome does it for me. (never tried kde tho)

i like posting screenies so here ya go

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=96107461ue5.jpg

check out the 'customized' active and inactive titlebar colours:rofl: