LAN setup on Triband

eramit

[OP]
May 12, 2007
Hi,I am using MTNL triband for Internet connectivity. I have two computers at home and would like both of them to be connected to Internet at the same time so that both, me and my brother can access Internet at the same time.For this I guess I have to set up a lan. Do I need to invest in a switch/hub or it is possible without additional hardware?(i.e. by using usb connection on one pc and ethernet RJ-45 connection on the other).Any help in this regard will be appreciated.Thanks.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
connect modem to say ur PC thru USB port. get a cross cable and connect ur bro PC to ur PC using that. make ur PC as gateway for ur bro pc. no need of switch or hub.

eramit

[OP]
May 12, 2007
Thanks for your reply. I guess that will work but the problem is my bro will need to boot my pc as well if he wants to access Internet. If there can be some other way so that only modem/router is kept ON it will be of really great help.Thanks again.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
when he wants to access internet alone.. he can attach modem directly. cant he?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that would work if your modem is logging you to the mtnl network. that means you are using ethernet to connect to the modem. add a switch in between... :confused:

cyberwiz

Regulars
Mar 11, 2005
Delhi
Get a hub man.. will save u all that configuration headache..hubs are pretty cheap nowadays ..u should be able to get one for less than 500 bucks..

boygr8

Regulars
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
If ur Modem has 2 LAN ports, then u really dont need anything.Mine has 4 LAN ports :)

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
Get a hub man.. will save u all that configuration headache..hubs are pretty cheap nowadays ..u should be able to get one for less than 500 bucks..

No save 450Rs and get 1 aspirin its much cheaper. u just need to configure once.

banda

~
Regulars
Nov 3, 2006
are u sayin that an asprin will cost Rs 50 :p or just that the hub costs rs450 and not 500??