Formula-1 News and Updates

India could host a Formula One race in 2010 as the game's world governing body cuts events in Europe and expands the sport in Asia.

F1 was "far down the line" in negotiations with a state government to build a racetrack in the country, the circuit's Chief Executive Officer Bernie Ecclestone said, adding that "we had to make sure we found the right place in India and we have."

He, however, declined to identify the venue for the prospective F1 race.

Discussions with some cities, including Hyderabad had failed to get a positive result, Ecclestone told Bloomberg.

He said that work on the new track should begin shortly and take three years.

"India is a country that is probably going to grow quicker than China," the F1 boss said.

As part of the expansion drive in Asia, Ecclestone has also signed an agreement to stage a race in South Korea in 2010.

In contrast, some of the traditional races in Europe are likely to miss out as the British Grand Prix at Silverstone may alternate with its French counterpart on the 18-race schedule, Ecclestone, who has run Formula One since the 1980s, said.

Germany and Italy will lose one of their two races next season, and the San Marino Grand Prix held at Imola, Italy will not be reinstated.

"It's bye-bye to San Marino," Ecclestone said.

SOURCE

what do you think guys?

Krishna

heh. no government would take the risk of spending a fortuneon a f1 track in india. the opposition would kill any such plan.private parties would have to do it on their own. and the investmentwould make it tough for them...as they would really have to work on marketing the race in india to get enough tourists to justify the expenditure.

A track from parliament to Jantar Mantar would be build specially for F1 race and non racing seasons Tanks would be deployed there 😉

OMG! Formula 1 Race in India finally? It would be hard to believe but Formula-1 is one of the most watched sporting event on the television sets in India. Michael Schumacher might have retired by the Indian fan continues to cheer the new talents which keeps appearing on the horizon. There is good news for the Indian Formula-1 [...]

Formula 1 Race in India finally!

i am fan of formula1 but i am not sure abt financial impact of having an F1 race in India. it needs to be calculated very carefully as investment wud be huge.. really very huge. not just initial investment but investment every year wud be huge too. whether returns wud be profiting or not needs to be calculated.

hello it won;t be possible. it's just a farce!we (delhi wale) cudn't prepare for the commonwealth games (2010) in more than 6 years, and we are planning to do the impossible (airport upgrade, more Hotels, etc,etc) in just 2 years!get real!

even if it happens by 2009. the arrangements wud be totally chaotic.

its gonna be a total mess. after 2009 (that too doubtful) i dont think there is gonna be anymore race in india. 😛

i am surprised that bernie still has not got an idea of how our government works. 🙂

yes my only worry is that if it happens in 2009 and then scrapped, it cud be loss of 400cr Rs. to country. ummm.. ok not 400cr rs actually as 200 cr Rs wud anyway be pocketed b4 race!!

^ yes you see thats the problem, out of the 400 cr, half of it would be gulped down by officials and the remaining half wont be enough to set up decent facilities (if the other half remains that is 😛). even if they do somehow set up a race track, i dont think they are capable of maintaining it at all.i dont think this is a good idea now. maybe they can do all this a few years down the line.