Nokia: Phones would soon alert the users after full recharge

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Nokia: Phones would soon alert the users after full recharge Mobile phone maker Nokia has said that mobile phones would soon feature a technology which would enable them to alert the user when they are fully charged. This would help conserve the energy as the user would know when to turn off the phone’s charger. Nokia plans [...]

Nokia: Phones would soon alert the users after full recharge

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
AFAIK, my phone (Nokia E50) does have a little beep and alert which says "Battery Full." I imagine they can implement what they want to do (a louder repetitive alarm) with a simple firmware update.Besides.... who the hell wants to wake up in the middle of the night (most people I know charge their phones overnight) to remove the stupid cord from their phone!!! Wouldn't it be more ideal to develop chargers that just ... uh... shut off after the phone is done charging?And why is this newsworthy anyway? Seems like a silly PR stunt in line with the trend of companies going 'green.'

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
vebmetal, the phone stops charging. But the charger keeps running. Theres a little transformer inside it which converts 240V AC to 12-15V DC. Its not possible to shut *that* off. So your phone is in no danger but the power, though negligible, is still being used.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
aha, that makes sense. But is there really no way to turn the transformer off?

And is Nokia basically assuming that each one of the 100s of millions of Nokia users would turn off his/her cell phone upon hearing this alert, in order to get at that figure of powering 85,000 homes? (implying huge disappointment to 84,998 hopeful homes).

And also, does the transformer stay on only when the phone is connected, or otherwise too when it's plugged into a power switch and the switch is on? Because if it is the latter, then that doesn't help either.

All in all, seems rather rubbish.

Sort of like that whole ps3 folding@home nonsense.. don't get me wrong, it's a noble idea, but very unrealistic and impractical. In a nutshell, with all the heating problems, and short life of console parts (e.g. ps2 laser lens), I for one would be damned that I am going to keep my $600 - $700 machine on a second more than I do for playing games.

You may walk around with a nice feeling that you are helping to find a 'cure' to Alzheimer’s Disease, but when your machine dies prematurely, and you find yourself having to spend $600 (or Rs. 37,000 for us Indians) again, that feeling will fly away quicker than it takes you to kick yourself in the b*lls.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
heh. i doubt the folding project would damage your blu-ray lens. it would consume power no doubt. but then how many people do turn off their gaming consoles after playing games. :) you dont have to keep the television set on for folding@home.but the project makes more sense than the seti project. at least it is providing processing power for free to stanford guys. the seti in comparison is useless mission.

boygr8

Regulars
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
How much power does charging a a phone consume? less than 1 watt. Now when batter gets chsrged, this consumption drops further(similar to AC being switched off but the stabilizer being on).....it would be hardly 0.1 or even lesser).This is just a PR stunt....better make better batteries which give more talktime, or better chargers which wste enery in heating up less

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
heh. i doubt the folding project would damage your blu-ray lens. it would consume power no doubt. but then how many people do turn off their gaming consoles after playing games. :)

Well unless you feel like wasting electricity, or unless you leave it on by mistake (the ps2 reset and power button can at time be a little tricky if you are absent minded), I think the answer to that would be everybody shuts their consoles off (i.e. standby). Folding@home doesn't mean you leave your console in standby (by virtue of the fact that the idea is to use your processor). In fact they estimate it uses 200W and the idea is that you leave it on overnight. That's more power than what even a huge cooler uses.

And what I meant wasn't the lens specifically. Just the general wear and tear on the system would be higher.

On the other hand if they gave me a 20% discount on the system, with a guarantee that I would leave it on for whatever number of hours in a year, I would have no problem.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
stupid mathematics and stupid marketing stunt.why dont they first give call timer on screen when i am on a call? none of their phone give call timer. and why cant they have beep feature of 55sec instead of 60 sec? so i can d/c my call b4 it reaches max 59 sec?and funny thing on news page is that they call this as a "upcoming technology" instead of "upcoming feature". where is the technology here?