10 mbps in UK

• Thread starter Thread starter coolbuddy_79
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 83
  • Views Views 13,703
it takes time for google to realise the importance of a particular domain. especially if it is brand new.

10 meg in the UK isnt that great for a developed nation. In Japan and South Korea 20meg is the standard basic installation for home use.10meg is about the top end for the network infrastructure in the UK. They are going to have to replace the whole lot for any faster speed. IMHO all this debate is OTT. Even with the 1 meg link I have to my POP I can rarely max it out, as bottlenecks tend to appear elsewhere in the network. Unless you are simultaneously downloading a number of films/music there is little point of such speeds for domesetic use.

wrong arunm, you need net speeds at least as fast as your hard disk... for example... doing an FTP install of Linux... should be the same from disk or net ! thats when you can say your net connection is da bombthe net should be your SAN/NAS (storage network) hehe

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 20 2005, 03:56 PM
wrong arunm, you need net speeds at least as fast as your hard disk... for example... doing an FTP install of Linux... should be the same from disk or net ! [snapback]22363[/snapback]
[/quote]Looking at it from that angle.....
You have publicly-processed data projects - such as SETI@home, or Folding@Home - where all processing is done in RAM - so your HDD does not matter.
And then there's others where the actual data flow is massively more than the processing to be done on it.

That, and many more functions - can all be carried out if you have connections to the Internet at the right speeds. At the start of the 1990s, who ever wanted more than 4800 baud per sec? 😛
But the availability of higher speeds opened up a lot of possibilities that no one even expected back then, aint it?
Your RAM can handle like 400 GB/sec - so are u gonna demand speeds that your RAM can handle? In that case, god only help our ISPs!

Well, that goes for home users. Commercial is a different story altogether!
I can show you atleast five enterprises (that i know here in blore) which are making do with a 2 Mbps, simply because going higher will cost insane piles of cash. As such, the news that even lowly home-users get 1 Gbps in parts of Sweden, HongKong, and South Korea, makes our blood boil! :angry:

yes, thats why i said... at least... as fast as a HD hehe...would love to have a permanent p2p.. like a global distributed fileserver or something.. never have to make backups/burn cds etc... !your home "client" pc becomes the "server" (or p2p node) in the 21st century , or maybe 22nd century in our case 8-(

prathapml said:
Looking at it from that angle.....
You have publicly-processed data projects - such as SETI@home, or Folding@Home - where all processing is done in RAM - so your HDD does not matter.
And then there's others where the actual data flow is massively more than the processing to be done on it.

That, and many more functions - can all be carried out if you have connections to the Internet at the right speeds. At the start of the 1990s, who ever wanted more than 4800 baud per sec? 😛
But the availability of higher speeds opened up a lot of possibilities that no one even expected back then, aint it?
Your RAM can handle like 400 GB/sec - so are u gonna demand speeds that your RAM can handle? In that case, god only help our ISPs!

Well, that goes for home users. Commercial is a different story altogether!
I can show you atleast five enterprises (that i know here in blore) which are making do with a 2 Mbps, simply because going higher will cost insane piles of cash. As such, the news that even lowly home-users get 1 Gbps in parts of Sweden, HongKong, and South Korea, makes our blood boil! :angry:[/quote]

when india must go to 4g moblie tech

that can offer u best speed world have ever seen

that speed can go to 1tbps

i think that in japan 0r korea that was all ready in use

your providers must go to that 4g tech rather that 3g

whern we get that it will be alomst 10 years from now that for sure

to get 3 gp they have more that 3 years to get to 4g sure for that