MTNL New Plans - What about speeds of existing 550 Unltd Combo and 995 Unltd Combo

AvidWatcher

Regulars
Messages
601
With regards to existing 550 Unltd Combo and 995 Unltd Combo, especially the former 550 Unltd Combo - will the speeds be increased to 1 Mbps? The press release or the website doesn't state that and also if these plans will be discontinued or existing customers migrated to newer plans.
 

Kinjal Savai

Newbie
Messages
86
Its up to you.. You can keep your plan or choose to change to new plan
 


bamesjond001

New Member
Messages
3
Location
Mumbai
I have the unlmtd combo 550 plan. I have not migrated to any new plan and have discovered that my net speed has reduced to merely 422 kbps (approx - tested on mtnl site itself). This is the speed that I am getting any time of the day /night. Very disappointing.
The speed I was earlier getting was 512 kbps (8Am to 6pm) upto 1 Mbps (6pm to midnight) Upto 2Mbps (Midnight to 8am).
Don't know why mtnl has crapped out on their existing customers. Can a service provider even actually change the plans/speed without the consent of the customers? I think mtnl may be dragged to consumer court for this.
 

AvidWatcher

Regulars
Messages
601
bamesjond001 said:
I have the unlmtd combo 550 plan. I have not migrated to any new plan and have discovered that my net speed has reduced to merely 422 kbps (approx - tested on mtnl site itself). This is the speed that I am getting any time of the day /night. Very disappointing.
The speed I was earlier getting was 512 kbps (8Am to 6pm) upto 1 Mbps (6pm to midnight) Upto 2Mbps (Midnight to 8am).
Don't know why mtnl has crapped out on their existing customers. Can a service provider even actually change the plans/speed without the consent of the customers? I think mtnl may be dragged to consumer court for this.
They always mention that the increased speed is for a limited promotional period only. The consumer court will rule in MTNL's favour instead. Read the fine print before you even choose a service provider and the plans they offer.
Looking at other ISPs in Mumbai, I think MTNL is doing a pretty decent job in their broadband offering.
Except for the pathetic customer care (over the phone and face to face), MTNL's broadband network has been mostly excellent for me in the past 7 - 8 years.
 

bamesjond001

New Member
Messages
3
Location
Mumbai
AvidWatcher said:
They always mention that the increased speed is for a limited promotional period only. The consumer court will rule in MTNL's favour instead. Read the fine print before you even choose a service provider and the plans they offer.
Looking at other ISPs in Mumbai, I think MTNL is doing a pretty decent job in their broadband offering.
Except for the pathetic customer care (over the phone and face to face), MTNL's broadband network has been mostly excellent for me in the past 7 - 8 years.
MTNL site does not even mention the regular speed of the 550Combo plan. They only show the new offer. I have never been shown or told about (on any paper I signed) the speed of 550 Combo plan. The speed I was shown was the one mentioned on the above comment of mine.
Anyways the point is not going to the court but the malpractices. Today I dont even know what is it that I am getting in the 550 Combo plan should I not chose to migrate.
 


AvidWatcher

Regulars
Messages
601
bamesjond001 said:
MTNL site does not even mention the regular speed of the 550Combo plan. They only show the new offer. I have never been shown or told about (on any paper I signed) the speed of 550 Combo plan. The speed I was shown was the one mentioned on the above comment of mine.
Anyways the point is not going to the court but the malpractices. Today I dont even know what is it that I am getting in the 550 Combo plan should I not chose to migrate.
Actually the 550 combo plan was displayed for a very long time and also shown a few days ago along with the newly launched plans. No offence, but your ignorance is no excuse.
For your info:
The 550 combo plan offers 512 kbps from 7 am to 7 pm and after that 1 mbps till 7 am.
There are a few threads in the forum wherein users have complained about the sudden removal of the 1 mbps speed boost between 7 pm to 12 am and then 2 mbps speed boost between 12 am to 7 am. However, they later restored the speed to 1 mbps between 7 pm to 7 am.
The clear message from MTNL is upgrade to any of their 8 new plans, total withdrawal of 512 kbps in their new plans.
Combo plan has withdrawn some benefits such as 25 free calls and now they charge Rs. 100 extra charge (so now Rs. 650 pm) but better benefit of 1 mbps as the default speed and then 1.5 mbps speeds for 12 hours between 7 pm to 7 am.
Hope this helps!
As a consumer make an informed choice rather than an uninformed one.
 

Top