ADSL Modems for Dataone (BSNL)

vijay911

Newbie
Messages
19
Hello,I am considering switching to Dataone. I have the following questions. I hope some of you would be kind enough to take the time to answer those for me.1. Is buying my own modem from the open market (as opposed to from BSNL) a better choice?2. Would there any specifications to which the modem I would be buying has to confirm? If so, please list them? I did not find them on the BSNL website. Even if you could provide the URL where they have been listed, that would be very helpful.3. If I choose to buy, which one is beter - PCI or USB or the type that connects to the NIC?4. I intend to use my connection on one desktop only. So, would I be needing an NIC (my computer doesn't have one currently) if I choose a PCI or a USB ADSL Modem?5. What are the approximate prices of the three types of ADSL Modems, and those of NICs? ( ebay.in rates are a bit confusing, and they did not have PCI ADSL Modems.)Thanks in advance.
 
A

abdulrahman004

1) You can get the modem from BSNL at cheap rates. you wouldnt get an ADSL 2+ modeom form outside in less than 1200 bucks , the cost for which bsnl sells the modem2)Get it from BSNL3)I doubt if u get a PCI modem. Any ways ethernet is more stable when compared to USB4) You will be needing a NIC card if u choose the ethernet modem5)NIC cards between 250-400. D-link costs around Rs 280
 

vijay911

Newbie
Messages
19
Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Oct 23 2005, 12:13 AM
1) You can get the modem from BSNL at cheap rates. you wouldnt get an ADSL 2+ modeom form outside in less than 1200 bucks , the cost for which bsnl sells the modem
2)Get it from BSNL
3)I doubt if u get a PCI modem. Any ways ethernet is more stable when compared to USB
4) You will be needing a NIC card if u choose the ethernet modem
5)NIC cards between 250-400. D-link costs around Rs 280
[snapback]29201[/snapback]
[/quote]


Mr.Rahman,

First, I thank you for your reply. I did consider buying the modem from BSNL. But, I have seen the posts of many other members in this very forum saying that the modem BSNL gives is a chinese make one, and is unreliable. Many suggest that if I choose to take a BSNL modem, I should rent it as the maintenance responsibility would lie with them. But, I found that a rent of Rs.100/- per month would be very excessive, unless you plan to use the connection for a very short period of time.

May be you have any information regarding any warranty BSNL may be providing on the modem. If so, please pass on the URL.

And about the PCI ADSL modem, if you meant that such modems do not exist, I have to say I found them while searching on Froogle (Google shopping). If you meant that they might not be available in India, well you might be right. I have to enquire about that in my city. By the way, I read somewhere on the net that PCI ADSL modems give the best response times, though they consume CPU clock cycles to operate.

Anyway, I would seriously consider buying the modem from BSNL.

Thank you again.
 

nil_3

Newbie
Messages
6
Vijay911I am using D-Link 502T modem for DataOne with a D-Link Ethernet Card which costs Rs. 1700/- and Rs. 300/-respectively in Kolkata. It gives me satisfactory performance. Both the hardwares provide a one year warranty.
 

oldtimer

Geriatrix
Messages
174
Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Mr.Rahman,

First, I thank you for your reply. I did consider buying the modem from BSNL. But, I have seen the posts of many other members in this very forum saying that the modem BSNL gives is a chinese make one, and is unreliable. Many suggest that if I choose to take a BSNL modem, I should rent it as the maintenance responsibility would lie with them. But, I found that a rent of Rs.100/- per month would be very excessive, unless you plan to use the connection for a very short period of time.

May be you have any information regarding any warranty BSNL may be providing on the modem. If so, please pass on the URL.

And about the PCI ADSL modem, if you meant that such modems do not exist, I have to say I found them while searching on Froogle (Google shopping). If you meant that they might not be available in India, well you might be right. I have to enquire about that in my city. By the way, I read somewhere on the net that PCI ADSL modems give the best response times, though they consume CPU clock cycles to operate.

Anyway, I would seriously consider buying the modem from BSNL.

Thank you again.
[snapback]29214[/snapback]
[/quote]


I have been using a Chinese make Huawei 800 modem for over a month. Satisfactory performance. Bought it from bsnl for 1200/- . Using an old Realtek 10mbps ethernet NIC.
 


vijay911

Newbie
Messages
19
Originally posted by oldtimer@Oct 24 2005, 09:48 AM
I have been using a Chinese make Huawei 800 modem for over a month. Satisfactory performance. Bought it from bsnl for 1200/- . Using an old Realtek 10mbps ethernet NIC.
[snapback]29301[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hello oldtimer,

I would like to know whether the modem which you had bought from bsnl for Rs.1200/- has

1. A warranty. If it does, for how long and is it a replacement warranty or a repair one?

2. Does it have a USB provision?

Please reply.

Thank you.
 

sirftum1900

Newbie
Messages
14
Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 24 2005, 11:24 AM
Hello oldtimer,

I would like to know whether the modem which you had bought from bsnl for Rs.1200/- has

1. A warranty. If it does, for how long and is it a replacement warranty or a repair one?

2. Does it have a USB provision?

Please reply.

Thank you.
[snapback]29307[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hello,

BSNL Modem has a USB provision only in HUAWEI SmartAX MT882 adsl modem for RS1200/- .BSNL has a replacement warranty of one year.
 

Top