USB port on Videocon D2H set top box, what is its use ?

• Thread starter Thread starter rak007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 112,953

rak007

Regular
ISP
YOU Broadband 1 Mbps Unlimited
I recently got a new D2H connection and have the most basic setup box (the cheapest one, only SD). The set top box has a USB port at the back. Can anyone tell me what is this port for and how to make use of it (if i can) ?

when the videocon dude replaced the dth box at my place with the hd one, he said that the company would soon release a software update that would allow recording by attaching a pen drive to this usb port. i am not sure if the same applies on the regular box. i am also not sure how recording would work without dedicated buttons on the remote 🙂

ah well. it is of no use to me. i am after all using their hd box on a crt with just sd channels 😛 my dad just need the business channels. so i am practically paying 320 rupees per month for 4-5 channels that he watches.

i asked my local dealer about usb recording feature and he told the same.. airtel and dishtv has already enabled this feature..

I recently got a new D2H connection and have the most basic setup box (the cheapest one, only SD). The set top box has a USB port at the back. Can anyone tell me what is this port for and how to make use of it (if i can) ?

Presently it can be used to watch Pictures using a Pen Drive on those TVs which don't have USB ports. And in future for Recording as said by chromaniac.

when the videocon dude replaced the dth box at my place with the hd one, he said that the company would soon release a software update that would allow recording by attaching a pen drive to this usb port.

i am not sure if the same applies on the regular box. i am also not sure how recording would work without dedicated buttons on the remote 🙂

When Did you got upgraded. As far as i know, Software release for all such STB has already been released. So, recording might have been enabled for you. Regarding recording via USB in Standard Definition, it will take time.

2-3 days ago. i wanted to get a new remote. videocon guy called me and said that they were running an offer where i can get upgraded to the hd box if i prepay for six months. i did that. worked out well. i have no idea how to check if recording has been enabled 😀

i think he meant photos not movies. movies are complicated because of multiple codecs most of which are proprietary in nature and need royalty for each device sold in the market.

2-3 days ago. i wanted to get a new remote. videocon guy called me and said that they were running an offer where i can get upgraded to the hd box if i prepay for six months. i did that. worked out well.

i have no idea how to check if recording has been enabled 😀

Then it might not be having the recording facility as of now, but may arrive soon with New Software update. Alternatively you can press " i " button of remote to go to EPG of any future Program and then Press " OK " to check if " Record this Program " & " Set Reminder " , both options are available or not.

Don't forget to insert Pen Drive or hard disk before checking this 😉

if he indeed meant videos, i am sure that the codec support would be laughably bad.

i think he meant photos not movies. movies are complicated because of multiple codecs most of which are proprietary in nature and need royalty for each device sold in the market.

Well explained. :applouse: