• Thread starter Thread starter emptymt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 5,750

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I just got a new mtnl connection. They've provided me with a wifi modem. Not sure what make it is, all it says on the modem faceplate and on firmware page is 450TC1.Every now and then I lose internet connectivity on wifi. My netbook shows full signal strength, but internet wont work and the wifi icon will show the message "limited internet access" along with the small yellow exclamation icon. All I have to do is disconnect the wifi connection and reconnect and it works fine again. Dont have to restart the modem or anything else. Just end the wifi session and reconnect. Also am sure its not a netbook issue because the same problem persists on my phone as well. I leave nimbuzz and push mail on wifi and sooner or later they too show loss of internet connectivity. I have to end the wifi connection manually and restart the apps and then its working online.The frequency of the problem has increased acutely since the past week. While earlier the problem would occur after over an hours or so usage, since the past week the occurrence has increased to every 10-15 minutes.Cant quite figure out what the problem could be. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,Firstly have you checked your modem logs or MTNL logs that shows that you have being disconnected from the DSLAM altogether, if yes then post SNR and line attenuation figures and get your line checked.Secondly all routers have security settings for wireless services disable them* temporarily and see if the wifi is working and there is no need for reconnection.Third check the ip's assigned when it shows limited internet access, it should be automatically assigned to your routers range meaning 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.51 etc etcLastly please post screenshots of the router settingsRegards

Thanks for your help guys. Was out of town for a bit and was unable to check if your recommendations work. Just got back today. Problem still exists and have been at it since morning.Making the network unsecured doesn't seem to have any effect.Have observed that my PPOE get disconnected every now and then and then reconnects immediately leading to a temporary loss of connectivity. However once the PPOE has disconnected my wifi connection goes stale. As in once the PPOE reconnects my wifi doest resume internet connectivity (on all devices, phone or laptop). I have to disconnect the wifi connection manually and reconnect.I tried running the windows diagnostic, but it said that windows was unable to fix the problem. And even if it did, it'd still leave my phone issues unsorted. ( I have quite a few phones here whose push mail and nimbuzz depend on the wifi).Have manually assigned IP to the laptop and also managed to do the same on my E71. Unfortunately that hasn't helped. The IP during loss of internet connectivity continues to be the one assigned by the dhcp or the one manually assigned. (192.168.1.x) Doest goto the 169.x.x.x that windows generally reverts to when there is net connectivity loss.I understand the frequent PPOE disconnection is most probably a mtnl line issue. But several 198 complaint have yielded little results so far. As far as mtnl is concerned if internet is working when they call, the complaint docket is cleared away. So am kind of looking forward to a solution which will let my wifi devices maintain connectivity once my PPOE reconnects and not go stale as is happening now. Will deal with mtnl later.Regarding line quality, it actually doesn't seem bad. SNR downstream is 33.2 and upstream is 9.5, while attenuation is 7.1 and 6.6 respectively.