Need help with router.

ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hello all !!
i am a noob so please pardon my technical knowledge which is zero i guess. I got my FTTH connection yesterday i.e.
BSNL FTTH Nokia Siemens H640V-G25E ONT Modem.

I want wifi at my place , it has two stories. BSNL cum private vendor chap has suggested me to buy D-Link double antenna ; that's all he said . He said that it will cost me 2700 ( 600 for installation and his warranty + 2100 for the router ) . I think he is conning me somehow so i tried to google DLINK routers.

1) what is this DLINK double antenna router ? I mean what should i even google ; i dont even know the model name ?

2) This might be what is needed i am not sure. Please let me know.
D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router with Modem (Black) - Buy D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router with Modem (Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

3) If i do buy this router ; will it workwith my ftth ? If so can we configure it on our own by some tutorial or do i have to pay someone 600 bucks or so to configure it.

Please help me out 🙂

600 Rs for Installation of Router? That's Robbery!

Anyway, so you need a Modem+Router to use your Fiber internet?

There are vast varieties of Modem/Routers. You have to choose according to your need. That depends on size of your house & range of connectivity you want.

There are budget routers/Modem like Netgear D500 starting from Rs 1000 with limited range suitable for house with 2-3 Bedrooms and best for single floor houses.

Wait for other experienced users to give you advice on more Routers.

Setting up Router is very easy. No need to pay 600 Rs to anyone. I am sure users on this forum will help you or you can simply Google it. Setting up Router won't take more than 5 minutes. If you are buying Router, try to search online shopping like Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon. They have very good prices.

600 Rs for Installation of Router? That's Robbery!

Anyway, so you need a Modem+Router to use your Fiber internet?

There are vast varieties of Modem/Routers. You have to choose according to your need. That depends on size of your house & range of connectivity you want.

There are budget routers/Modem like Netgear D500 starting from Rs 1000 with limited range suitable for house with 2-3 Bedrooms and best for single floor houses.

Wait for other experienced users to give you advice on more Routers.

Setting up Router is very easy. No need to pay 600 Rs to anyone. I am sure users on this forum will help you or you can simply Google it. Setting up Router won't take more than 5 minutes. If you are buying Router, try to search online shopping like Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon. They have very good prices.

i think i just need a router as the bsnl people have already provided me with a modem.
My need : the connection is on the ground floor. Immediately above the connection is my room ( i need to get full speed of fiber here as i download via torrents ) . Ground floor has two rooms and i want full wifi connection there as well.

budget is any where between 1500-2000.

thank you so much to let me know configuration is possible via google and people over here 🙂

What routers ( with exact model numbers ) do i specifically need to find on flipkart or amazon like websites ? Plus im very scared of buying something totally irrelevant andwaste my money !

Did u check the link i posted above ? Would that suffice my ftth or do i need to find something else ?

Thank you so much for your reply and the help i really appreciate it 🙂

I think you can easily buy Router with good connectivity in under 2K. A basic Router costs less than 1K. Make sure you buy Router compatible with Fiber internet not just with ADSL Broadband.

First get the knowledge about Router that is compatible to your need. Then you can easily search on Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon. Then Order from where you find cheaper prices and easy delivery.

Expect reply from @x720 shortly. He has good knowledge about Routers.

How much is your full fiber speed?

Can you not run a lan cable from the window to your room?

WiFi might be a hit and a miss.
I have 999 plan and allows 4mbps till 8 GB. Idk about the full fiber speed but above is mentioned my plan speed.

Actually my father wants the landline phone to be placed downstairs and not in my room and so the connection will be downstairs. In case WiFi is a hit and a miss ( as in signal strength ) is not nice I will get the connection in my room.

Could u please let me know what specific modem + router should I search over e commerce sites ??

Also in a few months I'll be shifting from optical to normal broadband, so I need a router that works both with cable as well as fiber. And so I guess I need a MODEM + Router that works pretty well with ffth Bsnl ( at present ) and aitrel broadband ( in future ) . Configuration should be easy as well 😛

Thanks for replying

Last edited:
I think you can easily buy Router with good connectivity in under 2K. A basic Router costs less than 1K. Make sure you buy Router compatible with Fiber internet not just with ADSL Broadband.

First get the knowledge about Router that is compatible to your need. Then you can easily search on Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon. Then Order from where you find cheaper prices and easy delivery.

Expect reply from @x720 shortly. He has good knowledge about Routers.
Thanks , I just did a bit of research and this Bsnl modem is rented so when I'll be shifting to normal broadband from ftth ( optic ) I ll be needing to buy a modem as well ans so I think at this moment I should go for a modem + router . Router would help me right now with fiber connection and in future modem + router would help me with normal cable connection as I don't have neither a modem Nor a router , so this has to be an ultimate buy sufficing my both the needs .

AFAIK, only the w8968 sports both a modem as well as WAN capability in order to use it as a standalone router, most modem router combos can't be used as standalone routers. Since you already have your FTTH modem (ont), you need a standalone router.

AFAIK, only the w8968 sports both a modem as well as WAN capability in order to use it as a standalone router, most modem router combos can't be used as standalone routers. Since you already have your FTTH modem (ont), you need a standalone router.
Thank you so much I think you are right and a router is all I need. If in future I shift to normal bb of Airtel or Bsnl , the one time modem charges is 500-700 ( not a lot ) right ?