Need help in configuring TP-link WR740N wireless router with MTNL triband!!

• Thread starter Thread starter RaghuJamwal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 22,475

RaghuJamwal

ISP
ASDL (MTNL)
Hi,I recently purchased the TP-Link wireless router (WR740N) from flipkart, so I could have a wireless internet connection for my laptop; however, I'm getting error configuring the device. It fails at the last step of the configuration wizard, "Confirm Settings".The error I get is:"Failed to verify Router settings:"1. Please check the WAN connection type and parameters.2. Please check your network connectivity type and retry."When I remove the router, the connection with ADSL router works fine.When I go into the router setup page (192.1.0.1), I cannot see anything under WAN settings except the MAC address. All the fields are 0.0.0.0 Apart from this, I have no clue what else could be wrong!!As far as I know, the username for MTNL is your phone no. and password is the customer no., which I have put in. I also tried to confirm with MTNL at 1504 but there's no option to speak with a human anymore. All they can give you is a silly docket no.!!!The less I talk about the TP-link support, the better. Their tech support does not work. They have given the support number just to show that they provide support, you cannot speak to anyone and then they disconnect! Please help!!!!!

Hi,

I recently purchased the TP-Link wireless router (WR740N) from flipkart, so I could have a wireless internet connection for my laptop; however, I'm getting error configuring the device. It fails at the last step of the configuration wizard, "Confirm Settings".

The error I get is:
"Failed to verify Router settings:"
1. Please check the WAN connection type and parameters.
2. Please check your network connectivity type and retry."

When I remove the router, the connection with ADSL router works fine.

When I go into the router setup page (192.1.0.1), I cannot see anything under WAN settings except the MAC address. All the fields are 0.0.0.0

Apart from this, I have no clue what else could be wrong!!

As far as I know, the username for MTNL is your phone no. and password is the customer no., which I have put in. I also tried to confirm with MTNL at 1504 but there's no option to speak with a human anymore. All they can give you is a silly docket no.!!!

The less I talk about the TP-link support, the better. Their tech support does not work. They have given the support number just to show that they provide support, you cannot speak to anyone and then they disconnect!

Please help!!!!!

Would sure appriciate anyone chipping in.... 100 views and 0 replies!! 🙁

I have no idea of this sorta stuff but just a tip.Anything that includes more that 2 paragraphs(about 10 lines) won't be read in full lol.

Have you tried referring to the user guide available on their site TL-WR740N - Welcome to TP-LINK -> Download -> Document.
I suggest you dont use MAC filter at the first stage you can do that later on. If you are new to all this then i suggest you have a look at my friends blog Socrates where he has shown configuration of some modem/routers & lots of info too

i use tplinklogin.net to configure the router.

In windows 7 it was easy with tikona broadband.

Just had to put the PIN number (pasted on the router) in windows 7 (when i connected the router 1st time), then just typed the login page of tikona to enter credentials. Just that, later one can configure security settings.

Please attach the Screenshot from the Wan Tab in the router configuration page and also mention whether its a V1 or V2 router.

Thanks for all your replies. Very much appreciated!! Let me also tell you something about my setup. I have a WinXP PC which is connected to the MTNL D-Link ADSL router, and I'm trying to configure the TP-Link wireless router from that machine. Is this the right way to do it? I have done all the connection as specified in the TP link user guide. The WAN is connected to the the ADSL router and the wireless router is connected directly to the PC through LAN. I will try the lhelpful links provided and let you know about the results.

Thanks for all your replies. Very much appreciated!!

Let me also tell you something about my setup. I have a WinXP PC which is connected to the MTNL D-Link ADSL router, and I'm trying to configure the TP-Link wireless router from that machine. Is this the right way to do it? I have done all the connection as specified in the TP link user guide. The WAN is connected to the the ADSL router and the wireless router is connected directly to the PC through LAN.

I will try the lhelpful links provided and let you know about the results.

Hey I'm able to connect now!!! 🙂

Had to clone the MAC... I don't know why!!!

Many thanks to all who chipped in!!!!!

actually i too am facing same error as raghu.I am having same router and ISP(mtnl) and using Dell inspiron n5010 laptop. I even tried the MAC cloning also but no success.In my case setup via CD fails saying "Failed to verify Router settings"My queries are:1.Should i configure router via the CD or the router homepage(192.168.0.1 in my case)2. During configuration should the laptop's WIFI be kept ON/OFF3. Can anybody give a step by step guide to configuring the router.

Hey Buddy it's the same error I was getting!Answer to your queries:1. Configure it through the router home page (192.168.0.1).2. Keep the WIFI off. Once you are able to access the net through the wired connection, disconnect and turn on the WIFI on laptop.3. Follow the exact steps as given in the install guide for the web setup.4. Always do the power cycle after the setup. Do it as many times as you make changes. It helps!Hope these steps will help. 🙂I am facing another particular issue though. The wireless connection keeps disconnecting randomly on its own. Not a huge inconvenience, as it connects right back, but would certainly like to know why??? I usually get 3-4 bars on wireless through a distance of 15 feet and 2 walls. Wireless is Bliss!!! 🙂

Check that you have the latest firmware for the wr740n. The router ships with older firmware from 2011.

The later version of 20th March 2012 addresses these disconnect issues to a large extent.

Do take a backup of all your router settings if you decide to upgrade the firmware. Please note that this can't be downgraded
if needed. The link given below is for V4 of the router hardware. Check the sticker below the router to check your hardware
version.

TL-WR740N - Welcome to TP-LINK

Hi,

I tried exactly as per the steps in setup guide and also followed tips given above but with no luck.
I haven't managed to get the internet access and the network connection always shows "no network access".
Sorry as I dont yet have permission to attach files to thread so I have uploaded screenshots of my setup at below mediafire link.
Would readlly appreciate if you can go through them and suggest if what is it that need to do right.

setup.zip