MTNL FTTH In Mumbai

• Thread starter Thread starter joels
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 76
  • Views Views 36,795
Any luck Puneet? I stay in Dosti Acres and was wondering if they would offer FTTH there. I have MTNL ADSL at home and recently changed from a 2Mbps plan to 4Mbps and the download speed is still around 1Mbps. Currently running pillar to post trying to sort the speed situation out.

Although fibre has not been laid up to haji ali (mumbai) mtnl suggested going in for 4mbps plan (on copper wire). Rs1750 per month for 50gb. Have applied for it. Lets see.

^^ That's a huge ripoff. I pay Rs. 1690 for 10 mbps with 75gb limit. You need to check that plan and pricing again.

Which provider is this? I know it's a ripoff but I'll try it for a month. Unfortunately their rs990 plan for 8mbps is no longer available, per the phone chat I had.

The 990 plan is available. 1500 doesn't know about the new 8mbit plans. Go to the CSC to apply for it.

Yes. But I think you're talking about fibre plans. I'm talking about copper line since fibre isn't an option for me. Sorry - what's CSC Yes. But I think you're talking about fibre plans. I'm talking about copper line since fibre isn't an option for me. Sorry - what's CSC

Had a chat with mtnl aunties over the weekend. Since I'm out of the 1pm radius for ftth they suggested vdsl 10mbps plan. But that can be done only by filling out a form at csc, not over the phone. Meanwhile my brand new modem plug has fused and so I'm without wifi for the moment. By and large customer responsiveness has been good in my experience.

sanke1 said:
What do they mean by all lines are full? Lol
This had happened to me. Basically their switch is full and they can't give out any new lines. I was given a number but had to wait more than a month till they procured the equipment.
If ur keen, put in your application and hang in there. Unlike the other players, you can be sure that MTNL will spend that CAPEX.

When i asked for the FTTH connection, the person in the sub division engineer office said, they have a fiber connection till the exchange and then copper till your home !!!
I asked, its impossible as it clearly states Fiber to the HOME .... he replied, it is yet to be done to be done that way !
I don't believe that guy still ....

ninadpchaudhari said:
When i asked for the FTTH connection, the person in the sub division engineer office said, they have a fiber connection till the exchange and then copper till your home !!!I asked, its impossible as it clearly states Fiber to the HOME .... he replied, it is yet to be done to be done that way !I don't believe that guy still ....
MTNL's FTTH product is as you think it is (Fibre to the Home) - it's possible that they are not yet rolling out FTTH services in your area and/or the engineer has not yet been trained on FTTH services and as such, is simply offering you ADSL or VDSL (which would be as he describes).
shethsa said:
Had a chat with mtnl aunties over the weekend. Since I'm out of the 1pm radius for ftth they suggested vdsl 10mbps plan. But that can be done only by filling out a form at csc, not over the phone. Meanwhile my brand new modem plug has fused and so I'm without wifi for the moment. By and large customer responsiveness has been good in my experience.
FTTH has a radius of 10km using standard equipment, or 40km using long-reach stuff (5km or 20km respectively is a safer bet depending on the quality of the optics). Chances are that MTNL has the same kinds of troubles as everyone else trying to lay fibre, so they're keeping it hyper-local.