Is it safe to have a parallel line for landline?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5,508

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
since i am paying a premium price to airtel for their broadband plan that i use as a backup for my reliance plan... i am considering starting to use the free 1000 minutes calls to get some value back.

ideal situation would be to get the cordless phone installed on the first floor. my broadband connection is in the basement. now i am not sure if it is a good idea to have a parallel line running.

i had this system few years ago and it used to work fine. should i apply for extended wiring?

Sure is, so long as you wire it properly!

Is the phone line present on the first floor? It'd be helpful if you'd describe current wiring scenario.

since it is a new connection, only one wire is coming from their box to my basement. i was hoping to get a line to my dad's room on the ground floor where i can connect a good quality cordless phone. he is the one who spends like 3-4 hours every day on the phone 😛

but then most of his calls are stds and i think airtel free minutes are only applicable on local calls? beh 🙁

Right. So, I'm assuming you have a splitter installed somewhere in the basement?

Now, a parallel line could be installed in two ways. Parallel here meaning, you will be using a cordless on the first floor, in addition to the fixed line in the basement.

1. Split the line coming out of the splitter, labelled PHONE, into two. One line goes to your fixed line in the basement, the other to the first floor.

2. Or. Split the line coming out of the box into two. One goes to your basement - to splitter - to phone and modem. Other goes to first floor - filter/splitter - phone.

Either should work just fine. I use the first setup, with phones across three floors. Works great!

The post in my signature has more info, should you wish to read up 🙂

Connecting a parallel line on BB line will have impact on data connectivity. I dont remember what was the reason. This was 10yrs back, on BsNL. After that not tried parallel connnection again.

That would be because the parallel line would have been taken before splitting data & phone. Once you split data & phone & then take two phone lines from the split phone part it should be fine.

well. bsnl linesman might not have installed the parallel lines properly. i would assume that airtel people would do a better job than that. but yeah, i have dropped the plans right now.