Is BSNL throttling daytime broadband speeds after FUP?

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaman2011
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,488

Zaman2011

Regular
ISP
BSNL
As most of you might already know, I have been seriously struggling with BSNL for the last 6-7 years but it is the only decent connection at my place. There are all sorts of problems I have been facing in BSNL from terrible lines which becomes bad in every rain or wind, unstable connection and what not. However, this post is not about it.

I have changed my plans a couple of times over the years and finally settled on the 1445 plan (2 Mbps upto 20GB and 1Mbps thereafter) last year. I thought that it will give me some peace of mind as I can at least get 1Mbps throughout the month as those are post-FUP speeds. I am not a heavy broadband user and I end up my 20GB FUP quota only in the second half of the month (sometimes as late as 25-30th of the month). I also try to save bandwidth by reducing the default youtube videos resolution of 480p to 360p manually and so on. In today's scenarios where the world is moving to HD, I still am ok with fair speeds. So, 1Mbps is fine for me.

But since the last couple of months, I have been receiving a "data purchase" or smartbytes option after I cross the FUP. I do not need that as 1Mbps is working fine for me. I restart the router and that is gone. But after the FUP ends, I notice a significant decrease in browsing speed too especially during daytime. I have been forced to remain awake all night for the last few years due to the terrible BSNL speeds during daytime. But it is now going out of hand. My family keeps scolding me for remaining awake at night and I also need to use the internet during day. Nowadays, the speeds become normal (1Mbps) and pings are decent only after midnight or so. I cannot even browse properly or do any work at daytime. This is becoming a regular feature nowadays. Whenever I complain, the speed automatically returns to normal but again within 1 or 2 days the process repeats and daytime speeds seem to be throttled.

So, is BSNL forcefully throttling post-FUP speeds nowadays to sell their "data packages"? Is anyone else also noticing such decrease in speeds since the last few months?

Modiji keeps on saying about digital India and growth of Northeast India. But his govt. is also like Congress and he is hardly turning out to be a man of words. Yaar kuch karo BSNL ka. It seems we are living in a different world in terms of digital world here in India.

Did you really believed that this Fekuchand/Sheikchilli PM could bring digital revolution in India?

Looks the same to me except for the lag spikes and drop connection when it's raining.Personally I have taken a break from online gaming for 3 months,saves me all the mental anguish and butt hurt while on a BSNL connection. *sigh* waiting for better days

i never noticed any speed difference. getting full speed of my plan (512kbps fup 😉 )

regarding gaming.. i play league of legends on singapore/malaysia servers and my ping is around 200ms to 300 ms range. sometimes by rare luck i get around 100ms ping 🙂 .

The Ping or Latency to any server outside India is ideally useless. During office hours don't expect it to be less than 300ms. If you run a tracert one can see major internet congestion in metro city. I live in Goa and i have notice that mumbai is massively congested. I too like playing online games like League of legend but thats feasible for me only in the night when the ping drops to 300ms to the N/a server.

It keeps happening to me as well, although it does not happen always. Youtube videos struggle to play even at 240p with 512kbps connection sometimes. Sadly same situation for me, only BSNL & airtel available where I live. Not sure if its throttling or the usual horrible BSNL service.

BSNL used to be painful to use during the 11am-5pm period. Reliance did not have that problem initially. Even that has become painful during office hours. Airtel is the same as well. Only goes on to show that home connections are distributed to offices or they are both being served by the same gateway. Which I guess is logical because they are unlikely to run them separately 🙁

When connecting if it takes 30secs or more for BSNL to assign ip then the connection will be like a throttled experience.

I too have heard many people complaining about bad day time speed. May be too many heavy users at that time in your particular area. BSNL, I do not think will be throttling speed. They will avoid anything that includes work.

the problem only occurs during office hours. i do not see why casual users would be specifically using the internet heavily during that time. 🙂