How to increase Wi-Fi range on BSNL Broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter tectona
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 57,741

tectona

ISP
BSNL
Hi all, I currently use a BSNL broadband connection for my internet. I have a WA1003A broadband router which has wifi support. I want to increase range of Wifi modem.Is it possible to increase the range by connecting another Bridge or Repeater.? If possible than Can I use another WA1003A broadband router configure as Bridge or Repeater. Regards Tectona

As per record books "Microserv Computer Technologies, based in Idaho Falls, and Trango Broadband Wireless, a fixed-wireless broadband equipment maker, on August 14, 2005 set the record for the longest Wi-Fi transmission at 137.2 miles (220.8 km)" . But that is under standard test conditions. You don't require any repeaters or extra router to increase the coverage and range.

For a good wifi range, you have achieve the following objectives:

1. Place the router in a more centralised area inside the house, and about at a height of 1.7 to 2 metres. See to that there are no walls immediately to the router.
2. In some WiFi routers(like Netgear), the antenna is movable upto 180deg. It is basically to have spread of signals. If you keep the antenna uprite(90deg) with the base then you get a umbrella kind of spread and more horizontal distance covered and vice versa.
3. Try to reduce interference, like cordless phones. Many of us have smugglled/genuine cordless phones from US or which are made for US market. Many of the cordless phones of today operate in US and Canada the 2.4GHz frequency, which is the same frequency at which Wi-Fi standards b, g and n operate. This can cause a significant decrease in speed, or sometimes the total blocking of the Wi-Fi signal when a conversation on the phone takes place.
4. Even reflections of the signal from an adjacent mirror, or high concentration of steel(vessels), glass degrades the WiFi signals. So position router away from them.
5. Even the range depends on the quality and make of routers. The really good ones across the world are. All these have range of 75mtrs to 100mtrs.
D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G
Netgear WGR614
Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G
Apple M8799LL/A Airport Extreme Base Station
SMC SMC2804WBR Barricade
Belkin F5D7230-4
US Robotics USR8054
Buffalo G54 AirStation
6. Finally you can try this method, which will give you a really good range. instructables : Uni-Directional WIFI Range Extender

Do letme know, whether there was any difference or not?

Chow,
A w e 🙂

I think it is a WIFI receiver with which i can steal other's bandwith... I need my bandwith to reach in all my rooms. and do not want to carry a strainer with my laptop.

Hi all,

I currently use a BSNL broadband connection for my internet.

I have a WA1003A broadband router which has wifi support.

I want to increase range of Wifi modem.

Is it possible to increase the range by connecting another Bridge or Repeater.?

If possible than Can I use another WA1003A broadband router configure as Bridge or Repeater.

Regards
Tectona

u can secure u r bandwidth

go to Wirless settings and there Will be WEP option there u can keep password

Even they can be detected by others to use it they have to get the password other wise not ..................