Grounding problem and equipment burnout with Tatasky HD+?

• Thread starter Thread starter tataskyburnout
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 4,185
T

tataskyburnout

I recently connected an HDMI cable to my LCD projector from the Tata Sky HD+ box, and the LCD projector motherboard had an electrical burnout. The entire system is protected by a commercial grade UPS, so it was not an electrical mainline surge
My AV guy tells me that he knows of several LCD TVs burning out on being connected to the Tatasky box.
Web browsing revealed that generally it is mandatory to ground both the satellite dish and the cable coming from the dish to protect from static shock and of course any lightning strikes. This makes a lot of sense.
However, Tatasky claims that no grounding is required, even though they cannot explain why.
Tatasky claimed that at times current can "leak" from other equipment to the Tatasky HD box and be transmitted from it to other equipment and other Tatasky boxes in the house, since they have a common ground at the dish. They agreed that grounding will protect from this scenario, but said they have no instructions to ground any of their equipment.
If you have faced any burnout of electronic equipment (projector, TV or other connected equipment) please drop me an email at tataskyburnout@gmail.com
Trying to determine the best technical or legal solution, and knowing if it is a general problem will help all of us.

I have a LCD TV with a burnt board & a defunct Tata Sky PVR both waiting for repair. I am looking for a good grounding solution as I have a servo covering my 6Amp points. Planning to have a localized pure sign wave UPS.
Evaluating this connector for spike protection. http://www.ebay.in/itm/Coaxial-Surge-Lightening-Protector-For-DTH-Cable-TVs-OEM-Pack-Wid-Connectors-/181340417362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2a38bb2d52&_uhb=1