• Thread starter Thread starter Topweb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 11,345

Topweb

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I am using 16 mbps plan and have Beetel 450TC1 modem/router and mostly using a laptop connected via wifi.

Every 10 minutes or so 'Internet' light on my modem goes off while 'Power' and 'DSL' lights on the modem remain on and stable. So I switch off the modem and switch it on again and after a few power cycles, 'Internet' LED starts glowing and wifi connection on my laptop as well as ipad and Samsung S3 start working for a few minutes before the 'internet' light goes off again.

There was some noise in the phone as well. So, I lodged a complaint and a service guy showed up. He changed the splitter and RJ11 cables between splitter and phone as well as from splitter to modem. There is no noise in phone line now. I was told by this service guy, who was a total rookie, that probably my modem/router is faulty because if 'DSL' LED is glowing, it means connection from exchange to my modem is proper. I told him that I'll not change the modem/router unless I am 100% sure because my modem is 3 years old and out of warranty now.

I recently upgraded from a 4 mbps plan to 16 mbps plan. Is this problem due to my line not being capable of 16 mbps connection or is this because my modem/router has gone kaput? Should I buy a new router or downgrade the plan to 4 mbps to resolve the problem?

Any idea folks?

Following are the line stats from my router:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin
:
6.4 15.5db
Line Attenuation
:
9.0 6.2 db
Data Rate
:
19452 863 kbps
Attainable Rate
:
21500 30564 kbps
Out Power
:
17.3 8.3dbm

for a 16mbps connection, you should get your own modem from a decent company. and your values look quite bad to the best of my knowledge. @x720 should be able to confirm.

Which router to go for will be next question, if a router is to be changed. But first I have to be sure that my router is indeed the culprit.

TP-Link TD-W8961ND or D-Link DSL-2750U or any other option? D-Link has USB port on it.

Looking to spend no more than Rs 2500 because I'll be shifting my home in 4-5 months and don't know who will be my next ISP.

Yes. It is a modem as well as a router.

Never faced this problem before. Have had this Airtel connection since January, 2006 and modem is also 3 years old.

Edited to add: I have a Beetel 450TC1 modem and 4mbps connection in my office as well. No problem there since last 4-5 years.

Right. The values might indicate problem in the line. I do not remember the good range values for Attenuation and SNR but yours look bad I think. :\

I have dropped a line to x720.

Would appreciate replies from other too.

Anyone here with Airtel 16 mbps connection? Please post your line stats.

If the line is bad then the "DSL' LED on modem shouldn't be stable. Is that assumption wrong?

Right. 6dB SNR is unacceptable. Now, in all likelihood, your line can't support this speed, however, with that beetel router, it'd be a bit difficult to say for sure. In any case, if you're going to be shifting in 4 months, I'd suggest first downgrading to an 8mbps plan with your current setup, if that still doesn't work, then you might want to look into buying new equipment.

Also, make sure you have no parallel telephones installed.

As far as the DSL led is concerned, I think it just shows if line is dead or not. Internet led shows sync with DSLAM, which is what matters.

In a nutshell, your line can't support 16mbit.

Thanks.

There is no parallel phone installed. There is only one phone and that is connected to the splitter.

I think I'll go back to 4 mbps which had no issues.

that reminds me. i have to get my plan changed as well. reliance is working fine so i have not even used 1gb of the 15gb allocated to me.

I downgraded from 16 mbps plan back to 4 mbps plan. Now there are no disconnections. No need to change the router also.

Following are the line stats now:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin
:
17.5 24.5db
Line Attenuation
:
9.0 6.0 db
Data Rate
:
6016 510 kbps
Attainable Rate