D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router configuration problem

• Thread starter Thread starter smartguy777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 36,025
Hi everyone
I have airtel broabdband internet connection for my desktop. I would like to use wireless internet through router for my laptop. So I bought D-Link Wireless N 300 ADSL2+Modem router today.
I followed all the steps of router installation like plugging power, connecting phone and ether cable. Last step 'connect to internet is getting failed with error as " There seems to be some problem with internet connection, check DSL settings'.
Please help me how to configure.

I did ipconfig/all on my desktop and posting results here..
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hyd-6769a8adb07
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-1C-3C-01-78
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:38:25
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:38:25
PM

Hi smartguy777,

I think I understand your issue. I will try and go through the steps you followed and point out what might be the problem:

1) You inserted the CD that came with Modem/Router and followed the setup program.

2) At the last stage you entered the Airtel DSL username and password and then you got the internet connection error.

3) I had faced the same issue while setting up my modem/router using the CD. The issue is that the setup program on CD does not accept long userids and Airtel DSL user id is of the format 011XXXXXXXX_dsl@airtelbroadband.in (where XXXXXXXX is your airtel phone number. I've shown Delhi's STD code replace that with your city code if not in Delhi).

The setup program accepts only 16 chars I think and it sets your userid in the modem as 011XXXXXXXX_dsl@

How to Fix:

1) Ignore the error and close the setup program.
2) From your browser go to http://192.168.1.1 (if you can't access, check that you have plugged the ethernet cord to Lan port 1 of the router, as some models restrict admin page access to port 1, also make sure that you have set your PC Gateway as 192.168.1.1 and your PC IP in the same range)
3) Login using id: admin and password: either admin or password or blank or whatever you have changed it to
4) Go to Advanced Setup, under that click WAN Service.
5) In the WAN Service page click Edit on the already entered settings
6) Next screen you will see a field called PPP Username: Change that entry to proper userid of 011XXXXXXXX_dsl@airtelbroadband.in
7) Change the PPP Password: Field to your pasword. The standard Airtel password is your 8 Digit account number that is printed on top right of your bills usually.
8) Click Next at Bottom of the page and on next page click Apply/Save

Your connection should work now.

Regards,
Still

set it up using the "start here" cd
He he ..I'm here because I couldn't connect internet using the "start here" cd. Last step (connect to the internet) was failing with 'Problem with DLS settings/connection' error when I tried it.

If you want to use it as Modem/Router, you need to set PPPoE, VCI/VPI etc
Since you have a working configuration now, you can login to the Airtel proviced Modem, note down or screenshot of all the settings and replicate them in your D-Link, if you want to have only one device and are willing to try.
You can backup all settings of your N300 and your Modem first, before experimenting, so that you can revert, in case you do not succeed...

ok, will try it. Thanks.