BSNL Kolkata, slow speed at 4MBPS plan

• Thread starter Thread starter debdutta95
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 8,411
@debdutta95 Don't go with Tikona. You'll be able to talk to their customer support whenever you want, but they will only ever ask you to "turn your adapter off and on again", and even if they send an engineer your way, they will have no real knowledge about anything, much like BSNL.

After researching a lot, I don't think I would go with them anyways and more importantly I need a reliable broadband service and wireless is a big flop on reliability grounds.

I am currently using Photon+ for surfing and downloading when BSNL gives up opening sites. However I am on 5GB limit with Photon, so cannot use it for a full month.

Try unlocked CDMA dongle + reliance CDMA sim. If the speed is decent, you can recharge with 949 to get unlimited data.

Sadly I have to agree with @kanagadeepan,given a choice I'll leave Bsnl( unless the bsnl-cox bazaar link comes along https://broadband.forum/threads/bsnl-buying-bandwidth-from-bangladesh.96671/)Bsnl as of now imo is only good for downloads.If you're going to surf,game or youtube,better get something else.Where I live there are only three broadband providers and one uses bsnl infra and is shite,the other use Vsat which is loving expensive and the third is "no choice except bull sh!t nigam limited"

BSNL good for downloads!! Well for me it's pretty bad in downloading which is my prime need. It takes 10-12 minutes to download a 6MB song, forget about movies and games. If I would have to download movies, I will have to leave my laptop on for the whole day. Torrents download at about 30-35 kb/sec and normal downloads are very bad and often breaks in between, download speeds are pathetic most of the times ranging from 15-20 kb/sec.

I don't really need super-fast speeds such as 1-2 mb/sec, but it should be at least descent enough so that I can download a movie in 2-3 hrs rather than wasting whole day.

Well for me it's pretty bad in downloading which is my prime need. It takes 10-12 minutes to download a 6MB song, forget about movies and games
Downloads are still good for me,at times I have noticed some random speed drops but nothing to rage about.The only gripe I have with BSNL is their space pings which is a problem since I game a lot (some say too much😛).

Okay, I didn't notice this at first but they apparently seem to change the downstream data rate which was earlier 2047kbps to this
-- dead tinypic image removed --

Which has resulted to this:
4351890904.png

After seeing this I feel like banging my head against the wall. Total waste of Rs.999, I think I was better with 512kbps plan, at least it would provide me promised speeds. I wonder how idiot the guys at BSNL can be, how can they downgrade someone's speed like that. Again asking them to upgrade will be a pain. I am considering to change my plan to the earlier one BB COMBO ULD675 as this plan seems to be a pain for me.

Would have been nice to allow people offer local ISPs. Just like cable network.

I still don't understand how uneducated can people be...on what basis they downgraded my downstream rate. Even 'jharuwalas' are better literate than these guys.

Well, BSNL folk are some of the stupidest people I've ever met. No knowledge of the field they are working in, nil. Not willing to listen to you, thinking they are 10x as smart as anyone else. They're a bunch of idiots.

Had a talk with the Sub Divisional Engineer and was shocked to see his knowledge on the topic. According to his system, the downstream rate shows 2047KB and not 708KB, and moreover he said that 2047KB is standard and "downstream rate has nothing to do with speed". He also said that tampering with these settings can cause to further problems in connectivity. In one word, he is unwilling to do anything. I wonder how these illiterates and lazy guys manage to get job at BSNL, with no knowledge how the system works. I highly doubt if his qualifications are apt for this job or not.

Anyways, I have given them last warning that if the problem is not rectified within a week or so, I would be disconnecting. In the meanwhile, I am having talks with my society secretary, if we somehow drill a new port for wires to come to my house, but so far no luck there.

Ya I have tried pgportal to complain but they closed down my three complains without any explanations. Neither did I receive any call nor anyone ever addressed those problems.

@debdutta95 if some worthy candidates get a job in BSNL then that will be 8 th wonder of this world. Lazy, stupid, careless people getting job in Bsnl is absolutely normal, IMHO.

Even if 20% of Bsnl staff do 50% of their work sincerely, then private players will have no chance. Their job security is our country's sickness..

Ok, finally after some ifs and buts, got myself a descent cable broadband ie Alliance Broadband. I have taken the 2MBPS plan for ₹1400 plan and so far it is really worth it. I am getting slightly more speed than 2MBPS, also I am getting 35MBPS peering on torrents and YouTube. Will be kicking out BSNL next week.

Speed I am getting through cable broadband
4381827496.png