BSNL Kolkata, slow speed at 4MBPS plan

• Thread starter Thread starter debdutta95
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 8,410
ISP
BSNL
I have recently shifted from BB HOME COMBO ULD 675 (512kbps flat) to BB HOME COMBO ULD 999 (4mbps till 8GB, 512kbps beyond 8GB) and getting kind of slow speeds since then. Download speeds never reach 200kb/sec and barely reach 150+, same goes with torrents with high seeds. Sometimes speeds are very horrible and go as slow as 15kb/sec (this happens at least once a day and continues for very long).

Please check my ADSL status and let me know if there is any problem as I called up the BSNL guy but could barely get any help.

-- dead tinypic image removed --

your current downstream rate is set to 2047 (2Mbps) call the bsnl guys and tell them to change it to 4096 (4Mbps) or higher.
yg967YM.png

also you won't get stable speeds on torrents all the time. it depends on the bandwidth of the seeders. try a torrent that has more seed to peer ratio.

Well after talking to so many people including some senior officials at BSNL, I came to know that this is a very common problem for BSNL users who have taken 4mbps or 8mbps plans. Since BSNL sets a default downstream rate at 2mbps, users with higher speed plans don't receive anything above 2mbps. Anyhow, they said that BSNL is currently rectifying this problem all over India and higher downstream rates will be set for all BSNL users. However for me, they will do it within a week or so and I will update once it is done.

Also for those BSNL users who are suffering the same problem, I would recommend them not to waste their time by going to the local exchange and shouting at those illiterate guys as they have no technical knowledge. According to them even 1mbps is equivalent to 4mbps. They are also very casual about their work and once said to me that their office doesn't receive proper internet connection, so how can I expect such high speed.

I am also attaching my current speedtest results and will post the updated one as soon as it is done.
4296236772.png

There should be an episode of epic TV serial Office Office where Mussadi lal will visit BSNL office for his grievance regarding BSNL broadband.

2mo8fpd.jpg

Anyhow, they said that BSNL is currently rectifying this problem all over India and higher downstream rates will be set for all BSNL users. However for me, they will do it within a week or so and I will update once it is done.

It takes 5 mins to fix if you have access to their system. Either they do not know or are kidding.

It takes 5 mins to fix if you have access to their system. Either they do not know or are kidding.

Unfortunately the problem is still not fixed from their side. I have tried every possible way from talking to senior officials, SDE, registering grievance on pgporta.gov.in and what not. I am so disappointed to see their customer service and problem rectification. Almost no response from their side and no one even picks up my calls now. Its totally frustrating paying for 4MBPS and receiving 2MBPS, I wish to kick their a**es and disconnect from them unfortunately for me, my society doesn't have ports for any other broadband wiring, all the ports have been jammed by BSNL's shitty wiring. The only option I have is to opt for wireless broadband like Tikona, however after doing bit of research, I found that they are very unreliable, so kind of stuck with BSNL 🙄

Some people think govt jobs as a way to secure life. Some, as a way not to do work and still get a big amount whenever they wish to.

@debdutta95 not only you. Most, if not all customers of Bsnl broadband have no choice except bull sh!t nigam limited. And that is the main reason Bsnl is still alive. If they all got another choice, then BSNL will be dead within a week, IMHO.

Sadly I have to agree with @kanagadeepan,given a choice I'll leave Bsnl( unless the bsnl-cox bazaar link comes along https://broadband.forum/threads/bsnl-buying-bandwidth-from-bangladesh.96671/)Bsnl as of now imo is only good for downloads.If you're going to surf,game or youtube,better get something else.Where I live there are only three broadband providers and one uses bsnl infra and is shite,the other use Vsat which is loving expensive and the third is "no choice except bull sh!t nigam limited"

Last edited:
@debdutta95 Don't go with Tikona. You'll be able to talk to their customer support whenever you want, but they will only ever ask you to "turn your adapter off and on again", and even if they send an engineer your way, they will have no real knowledge about anything, much like BSNL.

@debdutta95 not only you. Most, if not all customers of Bsnl broadband have no choice except bull sh!t nigam limited. And that is the main reason Bsnl is still alive. If they all got another choice, then BSNL will be dead within a week, IMHO.

Ya u are right. Most of the areas in Kolkata and mostly big societies have no descent broadband options and BSNL is the only way out. Whenever a new society is constructed, these guys go there and manage to capture all the ports with their shitty wiring and users are left with no other options. Their internet service is so pathetic that websites like cricinfo or even Facebook take ages to load. Downloads are crap, most of the times get cancelled, it has been days since I last saw a download speed above 20kb/sec. YouTube videos automatically switch to 144p and even that takes ages.